Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Looking for used zero turn rider and want advice.

With the new lawn going in this weekend I am starting to look around for a good deal on a nice used 60" zero turn rider or possibly an end of the season closeout deal. The biggest question I have when looking at a used unit is, how many hours is the magic number to remain under?
I know that at some point the pumps need to be overhauled and that may have to do more with the way it is used than anything but it there a general rule of thumb when looking at these used?

I came across a nice 60" Toro (now together with Exmark) that had the triple bagger system on it for $4900 but it also had 1700 hours on it. It looked to be in great shape but the hours are the big question.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: None
You're right it's all about how it was used and maintained. But in my opinion, a good liquid cooled engine should go 3,000 hrs without any major problems if well maintained, but it seems like other things like pumps and bushings/pulleys tend to start having problems in the 2,000 hr range. I am a fan of the newer BobCat mowers, for the price I think they are hard to beat.

Of course: Scag, Exmark, Ferris, etc... make great mowers too; but you're gonna pay for 'em.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks, hadn't really considered Bobcat as for some reason I thought they were getting out of the mower business. Will have to take a look. Are they priced considerably less.

I will be regularly mowing about 4 acres of lawn and then have an additional 3 acres of former pasture that I want to keep mowed down and nice (not the smoothest area due to horse traffic but I am working on rolling it smoother).
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

I would suggest looking into Bad Boy mowers. Our air cooled machines are rated for 2500 hours and we make both residential and commercial mowers. The commercial mowers are rated above that. Of course I am partial because my brother started this company in his garage and I have worked for him since 2006. Now Bad Boy mowers is the largest manufacturer of 60" and above mowers in the country. I have moved over to the UTV division of Bad Boy, now this side is called Intimidator, so I am not up on all of the new innovations of the mowers. I can tell you that they are built like a tank and the patented swing away design makes servicing and cleaning unbelievably easy. It is worth checking out.
We do have demo mowers that are for sell in the factory here (Batesville, AR), but I am not sure that we could sell them if you have a dealer in your area, at least I know that is true for selling new mowers in a dealers territory. PM me if you would like.
www.badboymowers.com
www.intimidatorutv.com
Intimidator is a new UTV that has just hit the market. Our website is about to get a make over so excuse the lack of good info on there.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Thanks, hadn't really considered Bobcat as for some reason I thought they were getting out of the mower business. Will have to take a look. Are they priced considerably less.

I will be regularly mowing about 4 acres of lawn and then have an additional 3 acres of former pasture that I want to keep mowed down and nice (not the smoothest area due to horse traffic but I am working on rolling it smoother).

That is a good bit of land to mow regularly. I would take a good look at front mount mowers as well, they can be more comfortable for long periods and 72" decks are common on them.

For example:
Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM
MC Devotee

I thought about the front mounts and have used them but they are not as easily manueverable around trees, etc. About 2 acres of the mowing will be done at my sister-in-laws home and she has a lot of object to go around and a 72 inch deck would be too big for her yard. I can always mow my former pasture areas with the big tractor but I would like to move away from that as I smooth the area out more and more.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
I guess I am partial to Grasshopper mowers, my grandfather still mows with his 1986 1210 grasshopper and has only needed to patch the deck in a couple spots, no idea how many hours on it there was no hour meter on that model at that time. It has been in our family since new. I run a 1995 Grasshopper 720K with 2800 hours on it, I think I have put 1000 hrs on it since owning it in 2003. I paid $2700 for it then and it has been a good mower. Both models are front mount, I have a dozer blade for the 720K.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Barefoot 190, 89, Indmar 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster20 View Post
I would suggest looking into Bad Boy mowers. Our air cooled machines are rated for 2500 hours and we make both residential and commercial mowers. The commercial mowers are rated above that. Of course I am partial because my brother started this company in his garage and I have worked for him since 2006. Now Bad Boy mowers is the largest manufacturer of 60" and above mowers in the country. I have moved over to the UTV division of Bad Boy, now this side is called Intimidator, so I am not up on all of the new innovations of the mowers. I can tell you that they are built like a tank and the patented swing away design makes servicing and cleaning unbelievably easy. It is worth checking out.
We do have demo mowers that are for sell in the factory here (Batesville, AR), but I am not sure that we could sell them if you have a dealer in your area, at least I know that is true for selling new mowers in a dealers territory. PM me if you would like.
www.badboymowers.com
www.intimidatorutv.com
Intimidator is a new UTV that has just hit the market. Our website is about to get a make over so excuse the lack of good info on there.

+1 for Bad Boy, great for the price.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
We also have a couple Steiner 4wd articulated mowers (1 gas, 1 diesel). They are unbelievable for pulling and pushing power. Wet grass and slopes can be a problem with traction on a ZT mower. These two little guys eat it up. When compared to a ZT, they are like mowing with a school bus. But they go anywhere and do anything.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
My uncles stepson owns Mow and Snow on Magadore rd in Kent. He may be able to help with a trade in or end of year clearance. Last time I was there they had Exmark and Big dog. ask for Sean tell him Emmett sent you. 330-676-9300. It's a small shop he opened 2 yrs ago.