Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Lifespan of PCM mechanical fuel pump?

Mine works just fine. But it appears to be original, or at least very old. Are these things capable of failing suddenly (as in torn diaphragm or some such)? It is 29 years old. . .
Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
If you are asking if its smart to replace parts before they break, the answer is Yes.

Its all part of maintenance.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Mine works just fine. But it appears to be original, or at least very old. Are these things capable of failing suddenly (as in torn diaphragm or some such)? It is 29 years old. . .
I have seen them go for a long time. They typically fail without warning. They will fail on a Friday afternoon on a three-day weekend or the beginning of a long vacation or when a good ski day is coming up with a planned sick-day from work.

Auto parts store will not have one and Discount Inboard Marine is closed until Monday.

Your call....

Me? I'd have a new one on there sooner than later.

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 10-14-2013, 09:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
I have seen them go for a long time. They typically fail without warning. They will fail on a Friday afternoon on a three-day weekend or the beginning of a long vacation or when a good ski day is coming up with a planned sick-day from work.

Auto parts store will not have one and Discount Inboard Marine is closed until Monday.

Your call....

Me? I'd have a new one on there sooner than later.

$0.02

What he said! I would buy it now and have it next too your extra coil, impeller, belts and extra raw water pump gaskets and parts. All of the above are weekend enders if the right people are not open, or can get it to you fast enough.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Mine works just fine. But it appears to be original, or at least very old. It is 29 years old. . .
Ditto for mine, but it's on an Indmar (25 yrs. old). Great question though. I didn't like the 'fail without warning' answer. By that I'm assuming you mean it will just leave you stranded in the middle of the river, etc., and a tow in will be needed (ie. you're not limping home). May need to make a priority out of replacing it in mine now. I was thinking I'd like to just get one and keep on board, but seems some preventative maintenance is in order.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
yeah I was just asking because I happened to be watching the wheeler dealer show awhile back and Edd (the master mechanic on the show) took apart an old fuel mechanical fuel pump that he had replaced for preventive maintenance, and the diaphragm inside was getting cracked and rotted, and probably would have failed soon. It was as old or older than mine. That was a pump off a different engine than a 351 (obviously) but I assume mechanical fuel pumps must all be pretty similar. . . got me thinking anyways.

Lol I guess I'll get one!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
The fuel pump on my '77 appears to be original and is on the Spring replacement list. I am not going to bother keeping the new one handy - I'm just going to put it on. The first one lasted 36 years so I should be good for another 36.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I got 15 years out of the low pressure fuel pump on my PCM GT-40 (this is the one on the outside of the FCC). Just replaced it last month. It was considerate enough to go out (gradually) at the ramp). I've never heard of a PCM fuel pump to fail gradually. It started tripping the 15a breaker and making a nasty noise on prime. It was a short swim back to the ramp with the boat in tow.

High pressure fuel pump is still going strong (as far as I can tell).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
The fuel pump on my '77 appears to be original and is on the Spring replacement list. I am not going to bother keeping the new one handy - I'm just going to put it on. The first one lasted 36 years so I should be good for another 36.
If yours has lasted that long, then I guess the ethanol fuel must not have much of an effect on the rubber diaphragm. I know Holley makes special accelerator pump diaphragms (aqua colored) for alcohol based fuels, per their website. My last carb. rebuild kit had one in it.

After reading some of the Fuel Pump 101 thread, kind of glad I still have the mechanical unit. Had a couple of the electric fuel pumps go out in trucks, Tahoes, etc. It is a bad feeling, and then you have to tow it somewhere or have it towed. Having it go out in a boat just compounds the problem.