Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar LY6, 2006 X-15 (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Playing devil's advocate, but what about a 'regular' boat? I'm not a marine engineer but... If a surf wake is created by sinking the stern to displace water, would a boat with a 'deeper' stern help? I know it's outrageous to say this, but what about an I/O? I've noticed that most of them have a deeper v in the stern, which should displace more water, creating a deeper hole in the water for the wake to form. Not to mention, they're quite a bit cheaper, leaving you more money for stereo, fat sacks and whatever else.
Just a thought...
G

GASP!! I would never suggest anyone go behind an I/O. My 2cents way too much risk....
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Playing devil's advocate, but what about a 'regular' boat? I'm not a marine engineer but... If a surf wake is created by sinking the stern to displace water, would a boat with a 'deeper' stern help? I know it's outrageous to say this, but what about an I/O? I've noticed that most of them have a deeper v in the stern, which should displace more water, creating a deeper hole in the water for the wake to form. Not to mention, they're quite a bit cheaper, leaving you more money for stereo, fat sacks and whatever else.
Just a thought...
G
You've got to be kidding??

I don't know that the possibility of being over top of the prop while surfing is a good idea.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
^ x2... There is a real good chance that the surfer 'will' hit the outboard leg at some point. I have hit the swim deck when surfing, couldnt imagine falling close to a high speed prop.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft x45
That is a great boat find.

As I look at some value priced boats it makes me question why I spent 5 times that on our boat. Sure it has some pretty wicked stuff and gets lots of attention but does it really make your day 5X more enjoyable. I don't know we will see.

We are really excited about this project. Love the supra idea. That may be the ticket.

We have also discussed finding a police recovery or an insurance right off.

Please forward any links. I will promise to give updates.

PS. I have seen people surfing behind an IO. As an experienced boater I clearly understand the dangers. IMO it is crazy to surf an IO.

Theme of this project "build a surf boat for less then half our age in thousands" IE I am 30 so 15k is our max.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 x star
i say go for an older supra sunsport if you go on the supra forum check out 87SunSportMikeyD boat it throws a huge surf wake and im sure one could be had for a few grand and leave lots of room to play around with.