Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 mastercraft prostar 205 , LT1
Leaky Gas Tank Breather Tube

I have a 1996 MasterCraft ProStar 205 , When the fuel tank is full to 3/4 full it leaks gas out of the fuel tank breather tube on the gel coat of the back of the boat and is staining it ! Im sure this has been a problem with this design.. Does anybody know of a certain check valve or something i can put on the line to stop this or any other ideas or fixes for this issue ? If so what exactly do i need to get ? Thanks for any help!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:41 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I strapped by breather hose to the top of the deck - - haven't had an issue since.. but mine never leaked that bad - only when filling with gas...
Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 mastercraft prostar 205 , LT1
yes i see that helping ! thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
All my work was done with the fuel tank out. You might be able to do it with the tank in, but it would be tough. I really needed a good fix because I trailer on a very curvy and hilly road from the gas station to the lake. I need to fill the tank to the top at the station and not get to the lake house with gas all over the boat.

The first thing I did was install a conduit clamp to the back side of the fuel fill and bought enough hose to run out of the tank vent, back through the conduit clamp and then through the guides under the deck and to the vent. The clamp is for about 2" conduit so it isn't tight on the hose. That didn't work.

I then bought probably 20' of hose, and a surge valve. The surge valve needs to be on an angle upwards to work. I ran the hose out of the tank toward the port side, made a 12" full circle loop and then back towards the conduit clamp. I cut the hose just short of the clamp and put the valve in and then through the clamp and the deck guides to the vent. I have not had a leak since. I don't know if it was the loop or the valve, but it worked. I figure the fuel would have to have a lot of momentum to make it through the loop and then up to the valve.

The fuel vent line was expensive since it is supposed to be Coast Guard certified to be used in a boat. I may have paid close to $3 a foot. It was ridiculous.