Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-21-2005, 10:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Pulling the impeller

Whoever came up with the idea of using 2 paint can openers to pull the impeller is a genius! After struggling with the impeller removal every fall for the last 9 years, I used that trick last night. I had it out about 1 second later, and no scraped/smashed nuckles from using pliers and hitting the pylon. It's like those openers were designed perfectly for that chore. I then used the other end of one to open a beer!
Also the brass drain valves from Ski-Dim that I installed worked great, too. I go lots of flow out of them, and so much easier than fighting with those plugs on the manifolds, and watching the water drip from the old engine sillcocks, wondering if all the water is out.
Changed the oil, fogged the cylinders, drained the hoses, added 1 gal of antifreeze and it's winterized quicker than ever before.
This board is so great!
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 10-21-2005, 10:15 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Good deal, glad it wasn't a chore. I'd say we have another month here if I had to guess.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Sorry to hear you are winterized , but happy to hear it has gotten easier for you.

Hopefully 1 month more for me....
Old 10-21-2005, 11:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Kevin - coulda used your post a couple days earlier. Sure wish I knew that last Saturday. Thanks for the tip. I wil have to remember to include one of these in my boat tool box.

Photo Gallery
Old 10-27-2005, 12:23 PM
TT Newbie

Does everyone always remove the impeller each year for winterization? I have a 2005 197 and the front mounted pump does make it easy. However, my previous boat had a GT40 with the belt driven pump and I never pulled the impeller in the winter. Only went through 2 impellers in 1200hrs. Always kept a spare and some tools under the seat so each time was 15 minutes of down time on the water.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:30 PM
MC Hero

Since I run my boat once a month just to keep things from sitting too long, I leave it in and replace it in the Spring. If you have no intention of running it over the winter, I'd take it out so there's less likelihood of the the veins staying in one position for months on end without moving. I would suspect it weakens them.

No matter how many people tell me they've had impellers last hundreds of hours, I will replace mine every Spring without fail. It's cheap insurance. I don't worry about overheats and fishing chunks of impeller out of all my engine's nooks and crannies.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Since I run my boat once a month just to keep things from sitting too long, I leave it in and replace it in the Spring. If you have no intention of running it over the winter, I'd take it out so there's less likelihood of the the veins staying in one position for months on end without moving. I would suspect it weakens them.

No matter how many people tell me they've had impellers last hundreds of hours, I will replace mine every Spring without fail. It's cheap insurance. I don't worry about overheats and fishing chunks of impeller out of all my engine's nooks and crannies.
An additional benefit to this is that you can keep last year's impeller in the toolbox as your emergency spare in case you need to make a repair out on the water.

Photo Gallery
Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM
MC Hero

Exactly. The downside is, if you're like me, you have to clean house every couple of years and end up tossing about 4 near new impellers because you're too lazy to ebay 'em.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 10-31-2005, 10:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: PS 190, 2000, 330HP
Impeller Question

I did the full winterization this weekend. When I took out the boat to run the fuel stabilizer through it, I developed a sound up near the impeller pump, or somewhere around the alternator/pulley system that sounded like a bad bearing. It is somewhat intermittant. The impeller only had 10 hours on it, and I didn't pull it when I winterized it. Is that a bad idea, should I replace it again in the spring? Any other thoughts what could cause this sound. Thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Phillips
I did the full winterization this weekend. When I took out the boat to run the fuel stabilizer through it, I developed a sound up near the impeller pump, or somewhere around the alternator/pulley system that sounded like a bad bearing. It is somewhat intermittant. The impeller only had 10 hours on it, and I didn't pull it when I winterized it. Is that a bad idea, should I replace it again in the spring? Any other thoughts what could cause this sound. Thanks

When I hear a bad-bearing-like noise from an engine, the first thing I ever think of is alternator bearing. I suppose it could also be raw water pump bearing.

Naturally, I'm assuming that you were running your boat with a water source attached to the raw water intake somehow, and that it was providing adequate flow (water coming out the exhaust).