Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Never thought I'd do this

Screwed up big time. Been gone for two weeks, go to start the boat and the battery is dead. Put it on the charger (12 Volt, 6 amp) for 6 hours. Clouds move in fast and it starts to rain. In my haste to put the battery back in the boat so I can cover it, I connect the pos/neg terminals BACKWARDS. I even have the terminals labeled in red & black! In a second I realize my mistake it and hook it up correctly.

With trembling fingers, go to start the boat and the battery is real weak, but it starts. However, the voltage gauge reads zero. Shut it off and restarted but still no reading on the volt gauge. Let the boat idle for 20 minutes thinking this would charge the battery. Shut it off and go to restart and the battery is now too weak to turn it over. Getting the battery checked today.

Did I cook the alternator? volt gauge? Not sure yet, could also be a dead battery (4 1/2 yrs on it). Will have to check, but just in case, anyone have a part number or interchange?

1999 Maristar 210 VRS LTR 330 hp, EFI

Recommended place to shop? Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
your lucky you did not cook ECU... make sure you are getting 13+-14+ volts to battery from alternator. may have cooked something in alternator... your nose will let you know...

glad ECU is good.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
At idle, the alternator won't charge the battery, so that's why it was too weak to start up the last time. It's unlikely that enough current flowed to damage the battery (you would have seen a nasty spark on connect/disconnect if 200 amps was flowing), but fully discharging a 4-1/2 year old battery is a good way to kill it so that wouldn't surprise me.

If the engine started, then you didn't fry the most expensive piece of electronics on the boat - the ECM. Thank your lucky stars. If all you did was take out the voltage gauge, you got off cheap.

If you're ready to winterize, buy a new battery in the spring and install it. If you're not, you'll probably have to get one now. In either case, get a good marine battery. There are almost as many opinions on what brand is good as there are opinions on what oil to run in the engine. My opinion (backed by nothing but the pretty case) is to get an Optima yellowtop battery.

/frank
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I doubt just connecting the battery backwards would short anything, definitely not damage the battery if that was the only one in the circuit.

My first thought is, if the battery was DEAD, the charger may not have even recognized the battery to throw a charge. Many chargers will not charge at all if they don't see 10ish volts.
Once on the charger did you confirm the voltage was raised?

Second, heavily discharged at 4.5 years could very well be a nail in the coffin.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 05
I say you got your $$ worth out of a battery that's 4 1/2 years old- go spend $100 on a new one- and at idle the battery does get a charge, take a volt meter and you'll see. with-out the boat running the battery should sit around 12.2 - 12.8- running mid 13's
Agreed- If you have fully dis-charged that Batt, it's probably dead
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

bsloop, I think you are correct. Don't think my old charger did anything (needle never moved). Borrowed a friends and it seemed to charge the battery. Took the battery to NAPA and it checks out great, although a new one next summer is a good idea. Hope to put it in today and see what happens. The voltmeter may in fact be working, it was just showing that the battery was completely dead. While I'm at the boat will also check the wiring going to the alternator for burn marks.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Put the battery in today. Fired up & voltmeter works. However looks like I cooked a cell in the battery, only putting out 10 volts. Current is good, 950 amp on a battery rated at 850. New battery next spring
Old 09-25-2013, 02:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow X9 View Post
I say you got your $$ worth out of a battery that's 4 1/2 years old- go spend $100 on a new one- and at idle the battery does get a charge, take a volt meter and you'll see. with-out the boat running the battery should sit around 12.2 - 12.8- running mid 13's
Agreed- If you have fully dis-charged that Batt, it's probably dead
I want to add something to this. Not all alternators charge on idle.

I have an older single wire alternator that has to be "excited" before it starts to produce a charge. So, if you just start the boat and leave it in neutral or only put it in gear at idle speed the alternator won't be excited. So on mine you have to raise the rpm's up enough to make it start charging. Once excited it will charge at idle or in neutral. But you have to get the rpms up first. If you shut the engine off you have to do the steps again.

This may not help this thread. But it may so carry on!!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2