Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Bigger is better!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
If you want low maintenance, frame it out and pour a 3" concrete slab. Put floats under it, and you're done forever. It sounds a little crazy, but my entire marina is poured concrete. It is extremely stable and little to no maintenance. The cost will compare favorably against any of the composite decking you are looking at. You will need a few extra floats. What size dock are we talking? How high do you want it to float?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Probably a difference in nomenclature... I am referring to a treated / pressure treated wood. Our current dock has been in use for the last 10 years with the wood currently on it.
Gotcha. Its referred to as "pressure treated" wood around here. Commonly used for docks, decks, etc.

I am familiar with "marine plywood", which has no allowance for internal voids like the grades used for construction- making it appropriate for use in a boat hull. Its not treated in any way, though. I figured that wasnt what you were referring to.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
We have redone both of our dock, ramp and ski, since 2005. We did the ski dock first. It was built completely out of treated wood. We have since used a product called Restore on the top deck for non skid and to help preserve the top decking. We have the corners of the dock where we have our swim ladder and put on skis carpeted since the non skid is rough on the bottom of equipment. 7 years later it is still in pretty good shape although we have had to do some repair here and theer to the top deck boards.

The smaller dock at our ramp has a pressure treated frame with synthetic deck. MUCH better than our ski dock but it was cost prohibitive at the time to do our ski dock with the synthetic deck boards. The boards are about 6 times the cost of pressure treated and you also have additional framing costs due to the fact the synthetic can not span as far. This dock still looks like new with the exception of a little dirt. We generally just pressure wash once a year.

Both of our docks are floating on the plastic 55 gallon drums which we sourced from our local Chemdry. They work great and are very inexpensive.

I would highly reccomend the synthetic decking if you can swing the expense.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Most of the new syn decking have side access for screws, there will be no screws showing on top, it looks really good. SS screws are definitely the way to go.

I found the cost of syn to be more than 4Xs the price, so I went with lumber. I used no space between boards, it looks good as there is shrinkage.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Bigger is better!
We have to make the dock show-ski proof (jk jk jk man lmao)

I'll be calling you for the work parties to rebuild it, Mikey... (seriously, I will!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
If you want low maintenance, frame it out and pour a 3" concrete slab. Put floats under it, and you're done forever. It sounds a little crazy, but my entire marina is poured concrete. It is extremely stable and little to no maintenance. The cost will compare favorably against any of the composite decking you are looking at. You will need a few extra floats. What size dock are we talking? How high do you want it to float?
Thanks, but concrete weighs wayyyy too much... our dock is heavy enough as it is and we have to have the ability to move in in/out from the shoreline based on the lake level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
We have redone both of our dock, ramp and ski, since 2005. We did the ski dock first. It was built completely out of treated wood. We have since used a product called Restore on the top deck for non skid and to help preserve the top decking. We have the corners of the dock where we have our swim ladder and put on skis carpeted since the non skid is rough on the bottom of equipment. 7 years later it is still in pretty good shape although we have had to do some repair here and theer to the top deck boards.

The smaller dock at our ramp has a pressure treated frame with synthetic deck. MUCH better than our ski dock but it was cost prohibitive at the time to do our ski dock with the synthetic deck boards. The boards are about 6 times the cost of pressure treated and you also have additional framing costs due to the fact the synthetic can not span as far. This dock still looks like new with the exception of a little dirt. We generally just pressure wash once a year.

Both of our docks are floating on the plastic 55 gallon drums which we sourced from our local Chemdry. They work great and are very inexpensive.

I would highly reccomend the synthetic decking if you can swing the expense.
Brian - great reply - can you post pics of both your docks? Thanks! I'd like to see your swim ladder and ski rack especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
Most of the new syn decking have side access for screws, there will be no screws showing on top, it looks really good. SS screws are definitely the way to go.

I found the cost of syn to be more than 4Xs the price, so I went with lumber. I used no space between boards, it looks good as there is shrinkage.
Thank you!

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Here is the only photo I have of our launch dock. This one has the synthetic deck boards. I'll look around for photos of our ski dock or take a couple of photos of it the next time I am out there.

The ladder on our ski doc is a custom stainless piece one of our members built many years ago. It has outlasted at least 4 different docks. Our ski racks are very simple. We hang some 2x4 vertically down from the rafters of our roof and then use two pieces of 3/4" galvanized pipe spaced far enough apart to accommodate ski bindings. The pipe just sits in a drilled hole of the 2x4 and is held in place by galvanized end caps on both sides. We wrap the pipe with foam pipe insulation. Works great.
Attached Images

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Bigger is better!
Agree 100%

Wider and longer........just like she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Thanks for the pic, yes i'd liked to see some more pics - gives us great ideas!

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
Friend use Rust O lum from Home Depot

Its thick, and a little rough, but looks better than my 15 year old wood. I'm thinking about trying it.
amonette516@comcast.net