Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Ski Dock Overhaul

We’re in the beginning stages of brainstorming for a ski dock restoration for the club... A couple of ideas in our heads were what to use as far as materials... Those of you that have built docks, here are the questions:

1. Do you prefer the marine treated wood or do do you prefer a synthetic lumber? Is there a huge difference between the two cost wise / durability wise?

2. If you go with marine treated wood, I was looking into nonskid paint. I see Cabela’s and Overton's offer it for $80-90 per gallon. Is there a better /more durable product for less money? Has anyone used either of these products can vouch for it? Durable? How long does it last? Does it peel off or look like ‘carp’ when it does? What I definitely would not want is a maintenance nightmare.

3. New regulations require utilizing encapsulated foam. Does anyone have a cheap resource? Also, is there a good way to calculate the amount needed? When we bought some for our jump restoration, it was a little too much and we had to counterweight the jump with anchors to put it at the right height.

Thanks in advance

MC

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
To answer one of your questions I would highly recommend composite decking attached with stainless steel fasteners. This will be the lowest maintenance for you and eliminate regular staining, splinters, etc. Several types have a embossed wood grain with them that make them look more like real wood and the raised grain makes them non slip. The product I have used on my dock and several decks is Evergrain. It has low expansion/contraction and has held up well to our Northwest weather. A nice way to attach this is with stainless steel screws called Headcoat. They have a painted head to match the material and when drilled correctly sit nice and flush. The lack of maintenance alone will pay for he increased cost of the material.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 AM
MC Maniac

That evergrain is eye candy - wow - that is nice stuff!

Any idea on cost per sf? a quick glance on the website does not show it.

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
That evergrain is eye candy - wow - that is nice stuff!

Any idea on cost per sf? a quick glance on the website does not show it.
Iirc about $2-2.50 per lineal foot for the 6" wide decking that is 1" thick. They also have some nice colors if you want to do a different color for a surround or accents. Really easy to cut and work with. It is fairly heavy though so you need some good floats for your dock.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
My father in law used composite decking and stainless hardware on his dock. The piers and substructure was treated plywood. 10 years later and it still looks great. He also affixed tar paper to the upward facing surfaces in the pier and substructure to allow water to run off.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
My father built one with marine wood and it is a very nice dock but over the past three years or so, it has had quote a bit of shrinkage. I tried to prolong the life of my deck at my house by putting the non skid surface and it seems to work well, but is really a pain to paint on, especially if you do it after the fact. Doing it before wouldn't be so bad but if you are spending the extra money, I would put it into composite decking. No rotting to worry about. It is denser than wood and tends to get prretyy warm in the sun but that is something pretty minor.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
What is "marine wood" or "marine treated wood"? I have never heard of those terms.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, '83 S&S Powerslot, Red Metalflake!
We have a "TREX" deck, it's 11 years old. Last summer, we power washed it, it still looks brand new. No warpage at all. I think that's pretty good considering the extreme weather patterns of Minnesota. It could be 40-50 below zero in the winter months to 100 plus in the summer. Of course YMMV and it is $$$ but Its worth it for ZERO maintenance!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
What is "marine wood" or "marine treated wood"? I have never heard of those terms.
Probably a difference in nomenclature... I am referring to a treated / pressure treated wood. Our current dock has been in use for the last 10 years with the wood currently on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skir68 View Post
We have a "TREX" deck, it's 11 years old. Last summer, we power washed it, it still looks brand new. No warpage at all. I think that's pretty good considering the extreme weather patterns of Minnesota. It could be 40-50 below zero in the winter months to 100 plus in the summer. Of course YMMV and it is $$$ but Its worth it for ZERO maintenance!
Trex = also gorgeous material - estimate on cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
My father built one with marine wood and it is a very nice dock but over the past three years or so, it has had quote a bit of shrinkage. I tried to prolong the life of my deck at my house by putting the non skid surface and it seems to work well, but is really a pain to paint on, especially if you do it after the fact. Doing it before wouldn't be so bad but if you are spending the extra money, I would put it into composite decking. No rotting to worry about. It is denser than wood and tends to get prretyy warm in the sun but that is something pretty minor.
thats what I was thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlars View Post
Iirc about $2-2.50 per lineal foot for the 6" wide decking that is 1" thick. They also have some nice colors if you want to do a different color for a surround or accents. Really easy to cut and work with. It is fairly heavy though so you need some good floats for your dock.
we are required to use encapsulated foam now, so add $$$ to the tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
My father in law used composite decking and stainless hardware on his dock. The piers and substructure was treated plywood. 10 years later and it still looks great. He also affixed tar paper to the upward facing surfaces in the pier and substructure to allow water to run off.
definitely stainless - we need repairs to be easy...

Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
I think the grey trex is like 40 bucks a board? We had it on our boat dock that was built in 05, and it still looks new.