Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Arrow RV Rentals

I'm looking to rent an RV next year for a trip - we haven't worked out all of the details yet, but if it is a one-way rental 2500-3000 miles or a round trip rental may be 6000 miles. The RV needs to hold 5 people COMFORTABLY, so bigger may be better.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations/avoids for companies, packages, deals, etc? I haven't talked to any companies yet, but a quick online quote is already looking steep at $0.34 a mile (plus rental and fuel). I have seen ads in the UK for US packages with "unlimited mileage" but haven't looked into it yet.

Thought maybe someone on here may have done this already.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 09-21-2013, 01:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
We took a 14 day, 4,000+ mile RV vacation last year and all the RV rental companies were way to expensive once the mileage was calculated into the rental. I found an individual on craigslist renting his personal RV with unlimited mileage. He charged basically the same daily rate as the rental companies but with unlimited mileage and generator hours. Saved me several thousand dollars. If you search rent or rental under the RV section on craigslist you will likely find someone, mine was out of Tulsa, a few hours away from me but worth the extra drive to check out and then pick-up... Also some of the RV dealers will rent used units so you might try that as well. A few things I caution you about if rent from an individual, finding separate insurance was difficult since you don't own it and it's not a business, I did find a independent agent that gave me a policy for a about $200 which was worth the peace of mind. (Owners policy should cover but with deductibles and such I wanted my own policy)Also, the owner provided me his triple A roadside assistance card in case of a flat or break down. We both signed a contract we drafted and agreed if it did break down and needed serious repair that required it being left at a repair shop more than 1 day, I could leave it and he would be responsible for getting it home and I would not be required to pay for the remaining days. The unit was about 8 years old but I looked at it and test drove it about a month before our trip when we signed the agreement, so I knew it was well cared for and he had it checked by dealer prior to our departure because we were going so far Yosemite and Yellowstone. All in all it was well worth the little extra hassle and I would do it again.

Good luck on your trip!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat View Post
I'm looking to rent an RV next year for a trip - we haven't worked out all of the details yet, but if it is a one-way rental 2500-3000 miles or a round trip rental may be 6000 miles. The RV needs to hold 5 people COMFORTABLY, so bigger may be better.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations/avoids for companies, packages, deals, etc? I haven't talked to any companies yet, but a quick online quote is already looking steep at $0.34 a mile (plus rental and fuel). I have seen ads in the UK for US packages with "unlimited mileage" but haven't looked into it yet.

Thought maybe someone on here may have done this already.
Just take Steve's when he's not looking
Old 09-21-2013, 01:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 Malibu LXI
We are also looking at renting a rv next year for a couple of months, the cost is sobering to say the least.
We also found on all our recent trips, booking a car at the rental company site was more expensive than using a overseas, or non us site, most of the time the insurance deductibles were included, but using the USA site of the company, they weren't included.
Seems that they are gouging for using the home site.
Regards
Old 09-21-2013, 04:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I found RV camp sites to be very expensive on a daily/weekly basis. Factor that into your costs too.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
Just take Steve's when he's not looking
That did cross my mind - hopefully they are getting a color I like. The 911 will look good on a dolly behind it too.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine

Tags
road trip, rv rental