Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
call the lawyer now? Home warranty

Ok guys thought I would get some opinions. Last week hvac unit went out. Compressor is shot and they found the heat pack was toast too. Had the service guy come out through AHS and he says his load calc calls for a 2.5 ton instead of a 3 ton. The unit is about 20 years old fyi in an 87 house. They are saying because the unit was not sized properly they will not provide a new unit through the home warranty but instead only pay out a small amount of cash and I'm on my own. The difference was about 3k to get a new unit. SOOOO I called another guy out on my own and he found I needed 2.6 tons so either a 2.5 or 3 ton meets code.

I told this to home warranty and they blew me off and said theyd call back again within 3 days. We are now on day 7 of no A/c and its 90 degrees here. Have 2 kids and I'm getting fed up. Because of "my delays with the payment" they have pushed my tentative install back another week so min 2 weeks without ac. Should I just lawyer up now? Feel like I'm getting bent over and bs'd
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
if it's going to be that long without A/C go to walmart and buy a window unit. fairly inexpensive and does a pretty good job. We bought one a few years back when ours went out and it was able to keep the whole downstairs cool with no issues.

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Two things, Your AHS service clearly isn't all that great. & Don't depend on it any longer.

Here is why, who warranties a 20 year old appliance? Scum does. And when you get paid out on it you about get what it is worth in scrap. With your 3 ton unit difference price being around $3000 I can tell you I understand they didn't give you more than $100 for the unit. I just had the AC unit replaced from a 2.5 to a 3 ton unit when my 20 year appliance went out. It cost me $2950 and that included a new coil. So your estimate from them is probably inflated to the point where you are getting nothing for your old one.

Ok now, what I recommend is getting whatever you can from them in a check to apply to your own service provider. Making a more realistic bid that you will receive from another contractor a tiny bit easier to swallow. If they won't do that then you are SOL.

I'm trying to help. This is from experience. I manage and maintain foreclosures, rentals for multi property owners etc etc. And have dealt with these warranty companies.

A lawyer is not going to help I don't think. These guys usually have airtight agreements that you willingly signed.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

well its also inflated atm because I was quoted a tol trane. Going to look at less expensive units asap in preperation. We only plan to stay in the house another year or 2. My issue at this point is that their argument is "we'd pay for it but the past unit was sized improperly" based on a bobo calc that has been debunked
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
This is why I don't buy home warranties! It's always some little ole BS that gets you. I never warranty anything past what the manufacture offers. Save time and headaches and I won't be without A/C for 7 days when it's 90 degrees.

Get it replaced as soon as you can and drop their A$$ as soon as you have a check in hand!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 AM
TT Regular

Yea my plan is to drop them after. Honestly I just put the warranty on this winter as a precaution for the last year of ownership. I just went through bs with them on a water heater and ended up replacing myself and getting a small portion reimbursed. They are a pita but at this point its not only a money problem but more so fighting for whats right. While we may have the money to get it fixed along of young couples don't. Gotta put your foot down on scammers sometime
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Traxx is dead on. Get anything you can and hire your own contractor. And if you are definitely selling in a year or two get a lower seer and save a few bucks.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Wakesetter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Two things, Your AHS service clearly isn't all that great. & Don't depend on it any longer.

Here is why, who warranties a 20 year old appliance? Scum does. And when you get paid out on it you about get what it is worth in scrap. With your 3 ton unit difference price being around $3000 I can tell you I understand they didn't give you more than $100 for the unit. I just had the AC unit replaced from a 2.5 to a 3 ton unit when my 20 year appliance went out. It cost me $2950 and that included a new coil. So your estimate from them is probably inflated to the point where you are getting nothing for your old one.
Agreed completely. Just replaced the A/C condenser at my house. Paid $3200 installed for a 14 Seer 3 or 4 ton Trane.

Curious that if your unit was oversized by .5 ton, it would make a difference.... Good luck.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 2001
What does the warrenty state for coverage and exclusions? Unless the calcs were signed and stamped by a licensed mechanical engineer specializing in HVAC systems, I wouldn't accept them as being valid.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
well its also inflated atm because I was quoted a tol trane. Going to look at less expensive units asap in preperation. We only plan to stay in the house another year or 2. My issue at this point is that their argument is "we'd pay for it but the past unit was sized improperly" based on a bobo calc that has been debunked
Shoot me your contact info and I will send my guy over to give you a quote. I am a GC in the Raleigh area and have a "few" contacts. I would be glad to hook a fellow TTer up.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6