Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Monterey 233 Explorer
WTB Used X45, looking for advice

Hey y'all I'm looking at getting an x45 within the year possibly. I've really been looking since last winter. Definitely need an 05 to 08 to fit what I'm willing to pay. Based on everything I've looked at including a lot of threads on here, I've decided to not consider the 5.7 MCX. Now, that brings me to my questions:

1. I'm focusing on 07 and up due to "tower shake" problems of the 2005 and 2006s. Is this a concern I should really have?
2. There are a few salt series / closed cooling boats out there. I will not go for a salt boat , but many of these say they've been used in fresh water only. Would this be a concern and do these have a lower resale? What about the crusader engine?
3. Some have maristars listed as x45's. I realize if there is a tower this is the same boat other than some trims. Is this totally correct and is this a resale concern?

Last is there any other things I should really be on the lookout for?

Thanks all!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X9, 2003
1. Not to sure about the tower shake but someone who knows the answer will come along
2. If they truly were only used in fresh water they will be fine and they would have lower resale. not sure on the engine but someone will come along who knows
3.You are correct and no there is no resale concern

2003 x9
Old 09-18-2013, 12:39 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Been on an 06 and ive never seen the tower shake with a tower full of boards.
Salt series is an expensive option if truly salt free
Honestly there is a resale concern because of the lack of options a 245 might come with vs an x series. But don't buy a boat for resale. Boats are a depreciating assets, so it's useless to buy a boat for its resale. Especially an x45 now that the 46 is out.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45
Having spent excessive time in my friends 06 before buying my 07.. I can say the tower shake is non existent on the 06 it's a double ladder design at top. My 07 before I put the tower braces on was just crap. After the braces it's perfectly fine. I would not worry about this in your decision.

the 6.0 or 8.1 is the only way to go though the 06 had the MCX and it was a dog compared to my 6.0 which is also MUCH better after a prop change.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, x45, 2006, 8.1L
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
Hey y'all I'm looking at getting an x45 within the year possibly. I've really been looking since last winter. Definitely need an 05 to 08 to fit what I'm willing to pay. Based on everything I've looked at including a lot of threads on here, I've decided to not consider the 5.7 MCX. Now, that brings me to my questions:

1. I'm focusing on 07 and up due to "tower shake" problems of the 2005 and 2006s. Is this a concern I should really have?

I have an 06 with double ladder top and while I prefer the 07, shaking is not a problem. It moves a little but no more than other boats I have seen.

2. There are a few salt series / closed cooling boats out there. I will not go for a salt boat , but many of these say they've been used in fresh water only. Would this be a concern and do these have a lower resale? What about the crusader engine?

I have te 8.1 and love it. Likes gas but didn't buy the boat for fuel economy. Someone that knows will understand salt use or not. If truly fresh you can tell so can they.

3. Some have maristars listed as x45's. I realize if there is a tower this is the same boat other than some trims. Is this totally correct and is this a resale concern?

Last is there any other things I should really be on the lookout for?

I would try to find one with perfect pass, I have mc cruise and it sucks aka doesn't work. Still researching solutions after a full season.

Thanks all!
Hope this helps. Pm me if u need more info.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X45 LY6 2004 X-30 MCX-Sold
What is your price range? I could probably be persuaded to sell.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Monterey 233 Explorer
All, thanks for your input.

Aric, what do you mean by an expensive option on the closed cooling engines? Maintenance or just upfront costs? In other words, if the boat has been in FW only -- are there any reliability or performance concerns with this type engine setup?

On the towers, will all 05 and 06 models have the "double ladder" top spoken of? I like the looks of the straight leg towers better but no real opinion. I was warned about older tower shake by a guy with a vested interest in selling an 07. If the older towers are stout, then no worries.

I really am not hung up on resale. Probably should have focused on reliability, maintenance, performance and functionality.

Mesquite, I will try to PM you.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
The salt water package is expensive if I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
The salt water package is expensive if I'm not mistaken.
~$10k
Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
i have the 08 with the tower braces...it def shook before without the braces

Tags
tower shake, want to buy, x45