Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Having just dragged my boat from Kansas to Minnesota a month or so ago I can say that it can be a bit of a white knuckle experience. Construction zones, unknown roads, long tiring distances, and plenty of stops at the gas station. My gas mileage dropped like a stone from around 18 to just above 10.

If this person does decide to do this then make sure he is prepared to handle flat tires. I blew a tire and I was "prepared" but still not prepared enough. I could not get the spare off the trailer because my lug wrench would not fit into the hole in the rim because the tire had settled on the nuts.

Also, make sure the light connections are long enough. I was lucky that I had enough cord but I know a friend that picked up a boat and his electrical plug was too far away for the trailer wires to reach. He was searching at 6 pm on a Saturday night for the stuff needed to make a longer wire and he said it was not fun.

Hiring a boat moving company might be a good way to go. Do NOT use the U-Bid people. They are not experienced boat movers and are simply yahoos with a truck looking to be the lowest bidder over everyone else. There are plenty of companies that specialize in moving just boats and from what I have heard they know their business. I almost used one myself but decided against it because I wanted the thrill of the adventure of going to get the boat myself. I got an adventure all right, and next time I will pay to have a boat moved.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post

Hiring a boat moving company might be a good way to go. Do NOT use the U-Bid people. They are not experienced boat movers and are simply yahoos with a truck looking to be the lowest bidder over everyone else. There are plenty of companies that specialize in moving just boats and from what I have heard they know their business. I almost used one myself but decided against it because I wanted the thrill of the adventure of going to get the boat myself. I got an adventure all right, and next time I will pay to have a boat moved.
Well that's the nature of the site, but reading reviews, and NOT accepting the lowest bidder is the right answer. I had zero issues with my 2nd selection. The first bid I accepted (beaver tail trailer) was horrible as the guy stated someone stole his ramps (15' steel ramps with hydraulics, yeah, just throw it over your shoulder and run!) so he showed up with no way to get it on the lift after I sat at the storage facility for 5 hours. The 2nd auction went up and I picked just a flat tow bid that was in the middle, he had GPS tracking and was always accessible via the phone. This guy tows boats, trailers, anything. It's all he does.

Best of luck with whatever method you end up choosing.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Having just dragged my boat from Kansas to Minnesota a month or so ago I can say that it can be a bit of a white knuckle experience. Construction zones, unknown roads, long tiring distances, and plenty of stops at the gas station. My gas mileage dropped like a stone from around 18 to just above 10.

If this person does decide to do this then make sure he is prepared to handle flat tires. I blew a tire and I was "prepared" but still not prepared enough. I could not get the spare off the trailer because my lug wrench would not fit into the hole in the rim because the tire had settled on the nuts.

Also, make sure the light connections are long enough. I was lucky that I had enough cord but I know a friend that picked up a boat and his electrical plug was too far away for the trailer wires to reach. He was searching at 6 pm on a Saturday night for the stuff needed to make a longer wire and he said it was not fun.

I assume you raised the tire/wheel with your jack, rotated the assembly, and lowered it to access the hidden lug.

The thin-wall socket that comes with a Power Wrench fits virtually any wheel/lug combination and the handle extends to give enough leverage to break loose even the most stubborn lug nuts. Should be standard issue for everyone's tow vehicle.
Attached Images

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-17-2013, 11:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
Maybe U-Haul or Budget? They rent trucks that can pull trailers and/or tow dolly. Might be kinda costly for a oneway rental though. Most of the full size SUVs I have seen thru rental places like Hertz, Avis, etc. have receiver hitches but as noted, they state they are rented for towing...
I have a friend doing this next weekend... they were the only places that had vehicles he was allowed to tow with. Pretty sure he's rollin in a cube van to do it.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM
MC Master Poster

LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I assume you raised the tire/wheel with your jack, rotated the assembly, and lowered it to access the hidden lug.

The thin-wall socket that comes with a Power Wrench fits virtually any wheel/lug combination and the handle extends to give enough leverage to break loose even the most stubborn lug nuts. Should be standard issue for everyone's tow vehicle.
Now where were you with that good idea when I needed you? Certainly not at the 35E/35W split at 10:30 on a Saturday night as cars were wizzing by me at 80 mph!

I eventually got the spare loose by using a deep socket with a 3/8" drive handle that was about 8" long. Took me ~15 minutes of standing on the handle and cursing but the lugs eventually came loose. The flat came off just fine because the tee wrench I had fit it fine.

I did put together a kit that I can throw in the tow vehicle for any kind of tire change and I have it at the ready now. I posted photos in another thread dedicated to it.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
To rent a nice truck isn't that bad, but what I've found is that you have to be a corporation to rent them with the intent of towing and generally carry $1 Million in insurance as well. It was about $1000 for me to rent one to tow to Florida and back for a week long trip.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Now where were you with that good idea when I needed you? Certainly not at the 35E/35W split at 10:30 on a Saturday night as cars were wizzing by me at 80 mph!

I eventually got the spare loose by using a deep socket with a 3/8" drive handle that was about 8" long. Took me ~15 minutes of standing on the handle and cursing but the lugs eventually came loose. The flat came off just fine because the tee wrench I had fit it fine.

I did put together a kit that I can throw in the tow vehicle for any kind of tire change and I have it at the ready now. I posted photos in another thread dedicated to it.
Had you bought tires from me, you would have had my number and could have called me.

From where I was, I could have been there in 15 minutes to run interference on the road........I have good insurance on the truck.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Had you bought tires from me, you would have had my number and could have called me.
The trailer came with brand new tires on it, literally 2 weeks old. Marathon POS tires from Walmart. First thing I did was replace them when I got it home with Towmasters, which supposedly come highly rated by the folks on the tractor forums.

I do need to talk to you about getting one extra wheel so I can have a spare for my spare. No sense in throwing out the new remaining Marathon if I can use it as a spare's spare.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Have your friend post it on UShip.com and get a few bids. Will likely be less than 1/2 the cost of flying in, renting something, fuel, meals, etc.