Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 PM
TT Newbie

Question about adding a shower

I'm adding a hot water shower to my boat and I've got a few questions:
I pulled a drain plug from the bottom of the engine and got a piece to screw in there with a barb for a hose on one end. I think it's sized for 3/8 inch hose, and I haven't been able to find heater hose (like for a car's cooling system) that small. What kind of hose can I use? I'm thinking that red, sort of hard plastic stuff (I think it's made for water coming off a water heater). I've got a 140 degree thermostat in my engine; will that hose work OK? What about the clear braided stuff?
I'm going to tee into my raw water intake for the cold water source.

Should I tee in before or after the pump? I'd assume before: I'll usually be using the shower on the swim step with the engine off; I think if I tee in after the pump it would run out of water pretty quick. But I think I've read in places that people do it after the pump. Any thoughts?

My raw water hose in one inch diameter; but I don't want to run hose that big off of it. (would rather use 1/2 inch or something). Any thoughts on places to go for fittings? I haven't been able to find a) a tee with a smaller barb coming off the tee or b) a tee with two barbs but then a thread on the "t" part, into which I could screw a reducing piece.

Thanks in advance,
Jared
Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 195 - LTR, ZeroFlex Tower
There is a good article at wakesiderides that describes this and may be helpful, in the 'How-To' area.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, SportStar, 99, 350 310HP TBI,
Try a search and check out this thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5154. Good luck with the upgrade I love mine! Jamie
98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Leroy

If you search shower install you will find several good links. Would be good to add to the FAQ.

I haven't seen your question about using the shower with the motor off. I've read all of the links also and would like to know about this also>
Old 10-20-2005, 09:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

I ended up using fuel hose to get the right size probably a little over kill specification wise and a little expensive but it worked. Usually the cold water T is between the raw water pump and the engine water pump. If you use it with your engine off you quickly run out of warm water that is heated by the engine. But maybe your climate doesn’t require the hot shower. I am also not sure if the shower pump is strong enough to pull out of the lake or compete with the raw water pump, if the engine was running and you placed your T before the raw water pump.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:26 AM
TT Newbie

I've searched around a bunch, the stuff I found was mostly installing a kit, (I found one or two things about homemade jobs, but they didn't really answer my question).
I've never been on a boat with a shower, so I'm not sure how we'll use it, but I kind of pictured us getting out of the water on a cold day, standing on the swimstep or back of the boat (with the engine off) and just warming up (so I'm not worried about competing with the raw water pump).
So that's why I planned on putting it before the raw water pump. (Are they designed, normally, to be used with the engine on?) I thought about running out of hot water. I figured I'd see how long it would last, maybe if you run out you could just turn the engine on for ten seconds or so and then turn it back off (will this be annoying)?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

TheSpleen,
The Engine is what acts as your hot water heater, so if you want warm water you need to leave the engine running. If you shut it off with the shower on it will drain the warm water out of the block in less than a minute, I also not sure if its good for the engine to quickly remove the thermal mass. I so I would suggest you set it up as the instructions and others recommend. I also wish you could have a warm shower without the engine running, but it just doesn’t work that way. Jamie
Old 10-20-2005, 01:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
I will have the pics developed tonight from when Erk and I added the shower to his boat last weekend.

Here's what I suggest...

The showers were not made to run with the boat off.

If you go the cheaper route and just hook up a garden hose to the engine block, you will need to keep the boat in neutral and rev the RPMs a bit to get the water flowing out of the hose. The hoses don't have to be anything special as long as they can handle hot water. Garden hoses will work fine. Just don't get ones that are too big as you will lose pressure overall as the hose gets bigger.

If you go the route Erk did and buy the complete package (fittings, pump, etc.) you will still need to have the engine running to get the water through the hose. If you don't, then the only water you will have is what is in the engine. Once you use that, no more water.

The pump only helps to get more water to you faster. It does not draw water from the lake, etc.

If I owned an inboard and were to install a shower, I would probably bypass the pump but still tap into the Hot and Cold water sources. It is just easier to grab the hose, have the driver pull out the pin on the throttle and then rev the RPMs. Otherwise, you have to put the pump on, adjust the temperature on the dials, etc. which is kind of a pain. Then remember to turn off the pump, etc.

I think the pics I will post will help answer your questions and clarify what needs to be done.

The easiest way to go is to get the fitting that goes onto the drain off the block, the plastic fitting that goes into the cold water hose (both can be bought at Home Depot) and then hook up a garden hose (5/8) with a spicket that has a shutoff. That is the cheapest and works just fine. That's what my buddy did in the parking lot of Ace Hardware before we ski'd on day, honestly. It doesn't appear to be the prettiest but works just fine and will save you a couple hundred $.

Just my
Old 10-20-2005, 01:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJC
TheSpleen,
The Engine is what acts as your hot water heater, so if you want warm water you need to leave the engine running. If you shut it off with the shower on it will drain the warm water out of the block in less than a minute, I also not sure if its good for the engine to quickly remove the thermal mass. I so I would suggest you set it up as the instructions and others recommend. I also wish you could have a warm shower without the engine running, but it just doesn’t work that way. Jamie
Sorry, your post appeared after I started typing. I agree with what you are saying.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1/10th share in 2005 X2 and 2008 190
Rockman - "Just don't get ones that are too big as you will lose pressure overall as the hose gets bigger."

Err pressure loss is inversely proportional to pipe diameter. As long as the shower head is small the outlet pressure will be greater the greater the hose diameter.

Sorry engineer...couldn't help myself.. all in good humour.