Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Replace boat buddy with roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
So you get out of boat and/or truck before pulling out?
Yes I do. If I'm at the lake house our ramp is right next to our house and dock and normally do both truck and boat by myself. Use boat buddy as designed then winch it if needed before getting in truck. If wife or son is driving boat then I normally winch it up the last foot or so with the boat under power to help.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcfarland View Post
Yes I do. If I'm at the lake house our ramp is right next to our house and dock and normally do both truck and boat by myself. Use boat buddy as designed then winch it if needed before getting in truck. If wife or son is driving boat then I normally winch it up the last foot or so with the boat under power to help.
I'm not saying your doing it wrong...all I'm saying is bb pin was designed to pull boat out and strap designed to secure. If your not stressing pin while driving you will be fine. However BB will tell you to put pin back to safety. My guess is a lot of people are ruining their bb and then start hating it. ..but if used correctly it an awesome system..and will get you out of water faster than most.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

I believe you that is the correct way. Just never done it. I don't trailer but about a quarter mile except beginning and end of season. I love the bb except the marks it leaves. What do you do to get rid of the marks or keep them from happening.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I believe you that is the correct way. Just never done it. I don't trailer but about a quarter mile except beginning and end of season. I love the bb except the marks it leaves. What do you do to get rid of the marks or keep them from happening.
Come in slow until boat settles into bunks...power once to get close...power twice to lock. My boat never hits bb rubber. All set up with right depth of trailer where fenders start to show.

When backing look for guide poles to float up...keep backing til bunks are wet...pull out til fender just come out of water.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
I'm not saying your doing it wrong...all I'm saying is bb pin was designed to pull boat out and strap designed to secure. However BB will tell you to put pin back to safety.
I used it that way for awhile; but you end up with the BB under a lot of tension when you pull out, and I found it very difficult at times to pull the pin back to safety using this technique. I also had it not latch correctly once, and the boat slid back an inch or two as I pulled out, bending the snot out of the metal frame (yes, I replaced it). So, now I get out and get my legs wet so I don't have to wrestle the BB back to safety, and don't have to worry about bending it up.

To keep black marks off my hull, I glued some carpet on the plastic receiver plate; I got that suggestion here a number of years ago.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

The ramps I use are all too steep to be shallow enough to do that and still be able to pull on. It takes nearly full power to get it on there if I go that shallow. If I go too deep the xstar bow will come in too low. Still figuring out right depth of trailer on the xstar.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
To keep black marks off my hull, I glued some carpet on the plastic receiver plate; I got that suggestion here a number of years ago.
Thanks I will do that when the new bunk carpet comes in Friday.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
The ramps I use are all too steep to be shallow enough to do that and still be able to pull on. It takes nearly full power to get it on there if I go that shallow. If I go too deep the xstar bow will come in too low. Still figuring out right depth of trailer on the xstar.
Steeper ramps will cause problems. Less fender showing would help in that case...or I would winch
Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Forester
Sorry to be a grump but I specifically said in the original post not to respond with how to use a boat buddy and now its two pages of exactly that.

Let me repost:

I have trashed two boat buddies and have a nightmare of a time getting the boat all the way up to the pin correctly. I would prefer to just get it close and then winch it up and forget the whole boat buddy. Please dont respond with telling me how to correctly use the boat buddy, I am throwing in the towel.
Anyway I found this roller, but not sure what else is involved. Can someone else that have done this project explain any parts or pieces that I am missing? As far as I know all i do it take the boat buddy off and put this directly in its place using a similar bolt.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...2&merchID=4006

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
Sorry to be a grump but I specifically said in the original post not to respond with how to use a boat buddy and now its two pages of exactly that.

Let me repost:

I have trashed two boat buddies and have a nightmare of a time getting the boat all the way up to the pin correctly. I would prefer to just get it close and then winch it up and forget the whole boat buddy. Please dont respond with telling me how to correctly use the boat buddy, I am throwing in the towel.
Anyway I found this roller, but not sure what else is involved. Can someone else that have done this project explain any parts or pieces that I am missing? As far as I know all i do it take the boat buddy off and put this directly in its place using a similar bolt.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...2&merchID=4006

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Can't help with roller...but still hoping you don't give up on the BB...so that's why I posted. You need to figure out trailer depth regardless to save your prop.

Good luck.