Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-16-2015, 03:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Xstar
Damn, overheated the brakes....

UK trailer so a little different to the American ones. Primarily, the brakes are cable operated.

Long story cut short, a little maintenance on the draw bar and I adjusted the brakes a fraction too tight. Annoyingly bearings and brake shoes are all new so I hope I haven't trashed too much.

Trailered about 10 miles and noticed things were a bit hot, like can't touch the wheel hot. We launched the boat and there was the distinctive boiling of water sound for about 1 second and a little oil shimmering in the water (could have been from the last boat). We didn't hang around to let the brakes cool,which I know I should have done. My guess I need to replace the grease at a minimum and inspect the bearings for blueing. I'll do a visual on the brake shoes. Anything else to consider?
Old 07-16-2015, 04:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft X-2
Good chance you could have warped the drum due to the quick thermal cycle. If you had disc brakes I'd say for sure it'd be warped.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Xstar
Hopefully not! I readjusted the brakes and all seemed fine for the 10 miles home.

Pulled one drum apart today, everything looks fine, I changed the grease and re packed the bearings. Will keep,an eye on the other 3 but hopefully no lasting damage.

Last edited by ac505; 07-17-2015 at 12:26 PM.