Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-25-2015, 06:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
89 Prostar 190 Stringer Question

The question is not if they are wood, however are they foam core? I am in the unpleasant situation of having to replace the cross member in front of the rudder in the rear. Something I did not know the PO decided to cut before I purchased the boat.

Anyway when I cut out the remaining side so i could make a template I was getting the rotted wood out out that was stuck to the hull. Now if you look at the lower part of the red area in the next picture it appears to be foam, so are the stringers just foam cores or are they engineered fiberglass?

I am trying to figure out the best way to proceed but do not want to cut to much out if i find out it is a foam core, however if it is just a little foam in there for whatever reason I have no problem grinding it back an laying it up with west correctly so that it is as strong or stronger than before.

any help or insight would be appreciated.

thanks
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2015, 02:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Why did it look like the PO ever did such a thing?
Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
No idea as of yet but every time i fix something i find something else like this so who knows

So anyone with any thoughts on the stringer repair?