Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Looking to buy a 92' Prosport 205

Hi,

I'm new here and joined to get some advice on possibly purchasing a 92' Prosport 205 (similar to Prostar except for observer seat is a swivel captain).

I'm looking for info on common problems that this model may have.

Boat is in stock form with Indmar 351, 800hrs.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I don't think the 205 has any inherent problems, the only problems are things that any 20 year old boat might have. I bought my 205 four months ago assuming that I would be spending about $2k in repairs and upgrades. This is what I've done, in no particular order: bought new tires, replace trailer wiring and lights, replace stereo and speakers, bought a new cover, new prop, changed transmission fluid, had a professional tune-up.
The things you should look at most closely are anything mechanical. Does the engine have good compression? Is the tranny OK? Steering linkage working smoothly? Is the prop and prop shaft straight? Wheel bearings OK?
You must do a test drive before buying. Does it start and run smoothly? Does the engine reach max WOT RPM? Do the gauges work?
If it's in good shape, and you buy it, you'll be getting one of the best ski boats ever.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: WANTED 90'S PS 205
A friend just tipped me off to a boat same as you describe for sale. If it's the same one, looks like a beautiful boat. I'm going to be in the market soon. If I was ready to buy I'd be driven down to take a closer look. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the response and tips.

Let me give you a little more info:

92' Prosport 205
Mooring cover 2yrs old. Trailering cover included as well GC.
Trailer tires fair cond, spare excellent.
Gelcoat is in good shape but little oxidized. Claims it will buff out, owner did not want to spend 400+.
Cushions have been redone last winter. Some part of rear section will have to be redone but feels it has a couple years of life.
Shrink wrapped every winter.
New impeller.
Tuned up in spring
New batt
New head unit & speakers
All electrical/switches work.
Surge brakes do not work. He was going to look into that.

Price $8700

Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC FEVER View Post
A friend just tipped me off to a boat same as you describe for sale. If it's the same one, looks like a beautiful boat. I'm going to be in the market soon. If I was ready to buy I'd be driven down to take a closer look. Good luck!
Where in WI are you located? My P's have a place in the Dells and my in laws have one near East Troy.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
I don't think the 205 has any inherent problems, the only problems are things that any 20 year old boat might have. I bought my 205 four months ago assuming that I would be spending about $2k in repairs and upgrades. This is what I've done, in no particular order: bought new tires, replace trailer wiring and lights, replace stereo and speakers, bought a new cover, new prop, changed transmission fluid, had a professional tune-up.
The things you should look at most closely are anything mechanical. Does the engine have good compression? Is the tranny OK? Steering linkage working smoothly? Is the prop and prop shaft straight? Wheel bearings OK?
You must do a test drive before buying. Does it start and run smoothly? Does the engine reach max WOT RPM? Do the gauges work?
If it's in good shape, and you buy it, you'll be getting one of the best ski boats ever.
I'm mechanically inclined, so I will be checking it thoroughly, including compression.

Any tips on how to check steering linkage & prop shaft? I'm more familiar with I/O's.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
Any tips on how to check steering linkage & prop shaft?
While the boat is on the trailer, grab the rudder and turn it both ways, make that it has a smooth action. While on the water, do lock to lock turns at different speeds, make sure it doesn't bind.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
While the boat is on the trailer, grab the rudder and turn it both ways, make that it has a smooth action. While on the water, do lock to lock turns at different speeds, make sure it doesn't bind.
Thanks, sounds easy enough.

If there are any issues with prop or shaft, I'm sure some vibrations will be felt.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Nice boat! $8700 sounds like a very fair deal for a 205 as well.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-16-2013, 01:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: WANTED 90'S PS 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
Where in WI are you located? My P's have a place in the Dells and my in laws have one near East Troy.
In Hudson, play on the St. Croix, and near Balsam Lake, play on Lake Loveless.