Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: prostar 190 1991
metal filings where starter nose attaches

My stater wouldn't work but when I removed it there were metal filings in the compartment where the nose goes in. Any idea on what they would come from?

Also, when replacing the starter do I have to replace the starter solonoid or is it a should replace part. I ahve the old style where they are separate
Old 09-17-2013, 08:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Assuming they are fairly fine, it would be the normal wear between the starter gear and the flywheel. Larger pieces of metal may be parts of the flywheel teeth.
Prior to just going for a starter replacement, I would verify that the solenoid is working correctly and delivering power to the starter. This also assumes that the cables are good (no corrosion, and they are significantly not heating up), the connections are clean and tight, and of course the battery is good. Being you have a '91, I would tend to think it is in fact the starter. I replaced mine ('88) recently as well with the Arco unit. However, I've read on here where some folks have had sections of the flywheel where the teeth are missing and the starter could not engage. You could rotate the engine manually and inspect the flywheel for this.
Most auto parts stores will load test starters for free. Also, the starter is one of the items on a boat that is required to be marine grade.
Many on here have 'upgraded' to an Arco gear reduction type starter (spins faster). They cost a bit more, but worth it in my opinion. The link below is to their website's tech tips, click on the "How to determine starter rotation" if you need help figuring out CW or CCW for your application.

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Tech_Tips.html

Yours should be the 70200 unit (verify) on page 33 below, for a Ford 351W.
http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Mari...t_Catalog.html

Several websites carry them, around $125 or so.

Good Luck

Last edited by MikeyOrange88; 09-17-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added cost info.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I think you'll be fine.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossow View Post
My stater wouldn't work but when I removed it there were metal filings in the compartment where the nose goes in. Any idea on what they would come from?

Also, when replacing the starter do I have to replace the starter solonoid or is it a should replace part. I ahve the old style where they are separate

"Metal filings" or pieces of metal? If they are bits/chunks of metal, it could be your damper plate. Years ago the springs in the damper plate on my '87 began to break apart and settled down where the starter engages the flywheel. The damper plate was still working fine, so it took me awhile to figure out what was going on....