Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-19-2005, 01:57 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
MasterCraft trailers...good or bad?

I've been interested to note what I consider to be a rather unusual number of problems reported here with MasterCraft boat trailers.
  • brakes locking up
  • won't back up
  • lug nuts shearing off
  • empty-trailer brake lockup
  • bearing failures (some catastrophic)
  • spare tire mount weld failures

Maybe these are mostly inadequate maintenance issues, but given what appears to me to be good manufacturing by MasterCraft, I wonder about the design and engineering.

Maybe I'm being too harsh and expecting too much, but the problems I've seen reported on this single discussion board suggests relatively frequent issues that I've just never seen in many years of trailering experience, including the 9 different trailers that I currently own, of all sizes and braking systems up to 7500 lb GVW.

Just an observation. These relatively frequent "trailer-disaster" posts certainly do have me on a rather hopped-up trailer maintenance program...
Old 10-19-2005, 02:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
It's not just MC. I know guys with Calabria, 'bu & Centaurian trailers who had major issues this summer. The first two are 2 yrs old boat trailers & both had axles replaced under warranty.
The Centaurian was on a 6 or 7 yrs old SportBoat Trailer & had to have both springs replaced.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:04 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
It's not just MC. I know guys with Calabria, 'bu & Centaurian trailers who had major issues this summer. The first two are 2 yrs old boat trailers & both had axles replaced under warranty.
The Centaurian was on a 6 or 7 yrs old SportBoat Trailer & had to have both springs replaced.
No, I can't imagine it's just MasterCraft, since basically all of the running gear on their trailers (axles, hubs, brakes, etc,) is standard third-party stuff. Even so...
Old 10-19-2005, 02:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
I've had more problems with my Shore Land'r trailer than my MC trailer (both of which I consider great trailers.)

Truth is, trailers take a lot more abuse than we think. You can't begin to compare the engineering that goes into a truck vs. a trailer...and yet we expect both of them to travel down the same highway at 70mph. Oh yeah, and then you dunk it in the water regularly. The trailer just isn't going to hold up as well. You can't take trailer maintenance for granted. My 2 cents anyway.

Last edited by RickDV; 10-19-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Rick, You brought up a very good point about dunking them in the water.

When I get to the ramp I wait at least ten minutes for the hubs to cool off before submerging the trailer. This time is used to get everything ready in the boat so once i'm in the water it's ski time with no other messing around.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
I agree, MC trailers needs to be something that's given more attention at MC.
They are beautiful trailers (the best looking in the ski boat market for sure!)
I know alot of the systems on the trailer are coming from outside vendors, but it's MC responsibility to keep the good name alive with incoming QC or design partners as alot of these issues aren't due to lack of user maintenance.
I love the idea of:
the boat buddy
and the trailer drag wheels ,
the disc brakes,
the backup override,
the torsion axles,
oil bath hubs,
gelcoat fender systems and
beautiful wheels

but the idea isn't enough. MC is the best and to put MC name on a trailer, it needs to be "held to a higher standard".

on a more design related note:
My dealer is convinced that my wierd launch ramp is the source of my onload/offload problems with my new boat... I can't argue it because I spend most of my time at the same lake.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 190,LQ9,SSrubrails,exhausts, Clararion stereo,depth finder, MasterCraft Cruise
Locking up in reverse or locking up empty in reverse and more of a situation of the owner not understand how the anti surge breaks work and that there is a mechanism to disable them,, or not knowing there is a fifth wire for deactivating the solenoid for reverse, the wire being connected to the backup lights. I'm not really sure if these problems are not attritutable to the MC trailer itself, just operators sometimes not knowing.
2005 Prostar 190, LQ9 engine, Clarion stereo/cd, 4speakers, stainless steel rub rail and bow trim cap,MasterCraft Cruise, depth finder, teakswim platform with transom saver, stainless steel exhaust outlets
Old 10-19-2005, 03:06 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
rust
bad bunks

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-19-2005, 03:09 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
rust
bad bunks
poor design(any time a prop can hit the trailer)no i was not in too deep
lights popping out or burning out early

They look good and i love the prop guard but that is it! Very poor overall design on the single axel.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-19-2005, 03:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniversary XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
I agree with you that this stuff happens to other trailers too. We have had 3 MC's. All of them without MC trailers. Had lots of problems with the first 2...broken leaf springs, brakes locking up, trailer bouncing when empty, etc. So far we are problem free with the brand new one. Proper maintenance is the key I think.