Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X55, 2012, 7.4L
wakesurf board for big guys

I need some help. I am a pretty big guy, 6'4" and 250lbs. I surf behind a x55 but can't surf without the rope. I think I need a different board. Does anyone know a really good board for bigger guys??? Running out of weekends this season and would really like to find the right board!!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
As Traxx would advise you, talk to the boys at Doomswell. They can make you something custom for your needs. You could also try leaning forward. I've never seen you surf, but most people lean back. Try putting more weight on your front foot and leaning towards your boat more.

http://doomswell.com/
Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X45 - 8.1
Hey Grooveleader,

We just built and delivered a board to a customer that is 5'10 400lbs... and he rips. He's nearly got his 360 dialed, I'm confident that we can build a board for you. If the custom route isn't right for you, our production "Xani" may work for you as well.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you are interested in talking through a few options. If you let us know what you are riding now and have a quick pic of the wake you are throwing behind the x55 we should be able to really help you out.

You can check out models and vid at Day1

Hope to hear back,
Bryce

Bryce McDonald
Co-founder, Day1 Wake
Bryce@day1wake.com
Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
I can vouch for the InlandSurfer Red Rocket. I'm 6'5" 300 and can easily go ropeless behind my 04 X-10
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X2
Im about the same size as you with probably a much smaller or a least different wake and the phase 5 trident has worked out well for us this year.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
There are a few big boards out there I would recommend. I bought the Humanoid Flux for my beginners and bigger friends. Great board. I have no complaints. I don't ride it myself anymore but it gets used frequently by novice visitors.

Doomswell, Soulcraft, Day1 all of those guys can make you a sick board custom to you for around the same price as a huge gay Ronix or something. Broadcast crap or whathaveyou.

I'm ordering a sick Day1 custom right now. I love my Doomswell. Brock is a cool guy.

Also I know Inland Surfer just came out with a "big boy" for bigger riders. I'm not all that into Inland Surfer for me though. Not a fan of the construction.

With a custom board you can go smaller on the size because the shaper can make it thicker to hold the heavier rider.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
Very similar setup to you. We've got an X55 also. I'm 6'3" and about 220 and I've had a friend who's 6'4 and 240 out with us.

We have an Inland Surfer Blue Lake. It's a big board and rated to go to 250+ Lot of buoyancy on it.

You may want to think about your wave also. Are you running stock ballasts? Are other rides, maybe sub 200lbs able to go ropeless?

We're still learning, but it's a lot about technique. So really 3 variables - wave size/shape, board, your technique.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
What board are you riding now?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:01 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks Bryce. I'll keep you in mind if I can't find a stock board that works!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:03 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
There are a few big boards out there I would recommend. I bought the Humanoid Flux for my beginners and bigger friends. Great board. I have no complaints. I don't ride it myself anymore but it gets used frequently by novice visitors.

Doomswell, Soulcraft, Day1 all of those guys can make you a sick board custom to you for around the same price as a huge gay Ronix or something. Broadcast crap or whathaveyou.

I'm ordering a sick Day1 custom right now. I love my Doomswell. Brock is a cool guy.

Also I know Inland Surfer just came out with a "big boy" for bigger riders. I'm not all that into Inland Surfer for me though. Not a fan of the construction.

With a custom board you can go smaller on the size because the shaper can make it thicker to hold the heavier rider.
Good info! You have me leaning towards custom... thx.