Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Crazy Cover Idea?

I have a 2007 X14 that will have to be stored during the summer on my trailer in my driveway. It has the standard MC cover that we use all the time. Last week I got the crazy (brilliant?) idea that I should get a custom cover that fits over the whole rig. So I went to a local canvas company and asked about a cover that would go from over the tower all the way down to the trailer. This would protect everything from the sun including the red gelcoat. They said they could and it would be a trailerable cover, but I would only put it on when I am letting the boat sit in the driveway. This cover would totally protect the boat and because of the larger height of the cover it would allow better air circulation and it would shed water better. I would have steep angles of the canvas and as such it would really let the water slide.

Total estimated cost would be between $1600-2000. For what it would do and the protection of the gel coat (which the MC cover does not protect very well) I think this might be a good purchase.

What does the collective MC brain trust think of such a cover?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
No lean too on your garage?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Considering the investment in the boat, that seems like a rather reasonable solution.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
I have a 2007 X14 that will have to be stored during the summer on my trailer in my driveway. It has the standard MC cover that we use all the time. Last week I got the crazy (brilliant?) idea that I should get a custom cover that fits over the whole rig. So I went to a local canvas company and asked about a cover that would go from over the tower all the way down to the trailer. This would protect everything from the sun including the red gelcoat. They said they could and it would be a trailerable cover, but I would only put it on when I am letting the boat sit in the driveway. This cover would totally protect the boat and because of the larger height of the cover it would allow better air circulation and it would shed water better. I would have steep angles of the canvas and as such it would really let the water slide.

Total estimated cost would be between $1600-2000. For what it would do and the protection of the gel coat (which the MC cover does not protect very well) I think this might be a good purchase.

What does the collective MC brain trust think of such a cover?
There is a boat that is docked at the place where I ski that has this. He has a tower with a barefoot tower on top of that (folded down to tower level) and he has this style of cover. From the top of the tower (also covering the barefoot tower of about 2' folded down) down to the theoretical waterline (the boat sits on a lift). I pass it most days when I go out and the cover appears to serve his needs of sitting out all summer, with nothing but the cover.

I'm not saying you're brilliant (unless you're from Texas) but your thought is feasible (IMHO).

As far as the ROI? Couldn't say. I am fortunate enough to have a garage so covers are not my thing at this point in time.
The $1.6k - $2k seems reasonable considering all things. However, for that chunk of change, I'd want premium Sunbrella material and not a cotton/polyester material.
Also make sure your material has a color system that will not fade onto the boat. I was reading on a site last night about a material that is supposed to exceed Sunbrella's quality and features.
Also you'll need tie-down loops and tie-down cinches and for that price, I'd want those included, as well as a sewn-in under-deck cinch rope of 3/8' diameter. A fully draped cover would not be my preference, although your theory about air circulation is still applicable. I prefer to cinch a cover around the under-deck area regardless... A snug fit with heavy Velcro around the tower legs is also a must.
It takes a good seamstress/canvas master to do the perfect job. My friend has a custom cover and he has taken it back several times to make it fit just right. Make sure they are willing to do some tweaks and fit-forming after the sale. Request the stitching be of marine-use grade (UV protected and not a cotton or cloth thread). You'll want premium industry-standard thread.

I would never consider trailering with this cover. Too much area to catch wind and tear, regardless of who says what...

Not much but that's all I got.

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
My big questions would be weight of that much yardage of sunbrella!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
My big questions would be weight of that much yardage of sunbrella!
True, but I'd not have anything less in quality. It's a trade out....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
not a crazy thought at all! I finally went from keeping my x2 in a covered storage at the lake to buying a hydrohoist and keeping it at the marina. a friend of mine used to own a cc 210 the same colors (orange and black) and he also had kept his 210 at the same marina and had serious gel coat fading.

bought this from a former teamtalk member who went to the darkside (cc)

love it so far and you can vent the whole boat.

note the access door on the starboard side!
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
Why not just buy a waterline fit cover from Skiboatcovers.com with chine skirts and a swim platform cover?

Do you really need to protect the tower itself?
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
You can get a pretty nice metal carport for the same money. They have a lot of nice designs on those now. That is something you could always move around and sell later on.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
You can get a pretty nice metal carport for the same money.
No way no how that with fly with "The Client"as I call her. Aka SWMBO, The Boss, The Queen of the House, The One Who Makes the Rules. So carport is out of the question. Also we get some nasty storms around here each spring. Last spring we got over 8 inches of rain at my house in less than 15 minutes and over 80 mile per hour winds. Docks with pontoons attached were flipped over on the local lake. One Tige on the lake got swamped on its lift because the drain plug was not out. Those carports are the first thing that goes flying in these storms.