Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-24-2017, 06:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88 prostar 190 w/ 351
Dash restoration, making new mold with fiberglass????

Well like most, my dash is pretty beat up and broken. I'm going to attempt to make a whole new dash with fiberglass.. not sure if this has been tried before or anyone knows anyone who has successfully completed one.

My plan is to remove the dash, all the panels and garages. Cover the dash with wax, wet some fiberglass lay it over top of the dash and roll/work it into a new mold. Then pop it off when it's dry, cut out my holes I need, paint and cover with plasti dip or other textured paint and hope for the best.

Thoughts?? Ideas?? Comments??
Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Indmar
Haven't done it in this application, but seems reasonable... but remember that you'll have to lay fiberglass into the mold to retain the dimensions. You can also use felt backed with resin and fiberglass to have a smoother finish to start with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-25-2017, 01:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Not sure how much usable info there is, but I found two related threads. Might be worth trying to PM the OPs.
Thread 1
Thread 1.5, a follow-up to the thread above.

Thread 2

G
Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 prostar, 350 indmar
i just bought a 1994 prostar with a POS wooden dash replacement abomination... i made one in aluminum and covered it in vinyl ... think it turned out ok... now for paint, carpet, upholstery etc etc

Last edited by Copenhagen; 08-10-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Thoughts?? Ideas?? Comments??
Are you going to change the switch panels around too? Or just bolt those back where they were?

Might be best to take the current dash modify it any way you think it needs - and spray it down with parting agent, then lay fiberglass onto it a few layers thick, let that harden and separate it, then spray it with filler/primer - sand it smooth - cover that with parting agent and build the new dash off the negative.

If you're going to do it right then you can spray gel coat into the mold then build up the fiberglass. Either way its hard to capture dimensions if you don't work in the negative.