Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Just speculation but I am a little doubtful that the MTX amplifier is defective since it plays for 45 minutes before shutting down. Usually an amplifier with an internal failure won't make it that long. The issue is more likely to be an external issue like voltage, impedance/load, wiring, implimentation, or a combination.

There certainly are topology differences between Class A and Class AB other than the amount of applied bias. The original SoundStream company made pure Class A automotive amplifiers for a short time in the late '80s and it didn't last long.
Class AB is less efficient at lower power levels and more efficient at higher power levels since the bias current is a higher percentage of the output at lower power levels. There is simply less waste as a percentage at full output. But the topology is still inherently wasteful at any level and produces a ton of heat.

David
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
I thought so..........no worries. It was more of whats currently available in the retail market.
A couple of years ago, I saw a car amp that used tubes for the output, but it was push-pull.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Jim, not sure on the exact model. I did not have a multi meter handy when I was working, so I had to just get a 9V battery to make sure the speaker wire connections were good. I got a pop from each speaker, so I confirmed the speakers were at least hooked up. I will bring my meter back over to his house, the next chance I get and check the wires. I can't really answer any of the other questions either unfortunately without having the boat in front of me. When I get back over there, I will try to get some pics. Not sure if it matters but there are two MB Quart 6x9 speakers in some Titan cans. Unsure of model or any specifics though. I know this is not much help for now, but thanks for the detailed reply.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Far from the expert here as the few have chimed in. What model amp and speakers are you running. I am a bit confused as you say there are two speakers on each channel but then you say he only has two speakers. I am guessing maybe the speakers are not 4ohms and you are over loading the amp possibly.

The exact amp or speaker models would def help

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
A couple of years ago, I saw a car amp that used tubes for the output, but it was push-pull.
http://www.butleraudio.com/

Earmark carried the above brand years ago as purely a novelty along with some fullrange ribbon tweeters. Not sure if it was a hybrid. Silly in a car, I know.

David
Old 09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Far from the expert here as the few have chimed in. What model amp and speakers are you running. I am a bit confused as you say there are two speakers on each channel but then you say he only has two speakers. I am guessing maybe the speakers are not 4ohms and you are over loading the amp possibly.

The exact amp or speaker models would def help
Will see what I can get. As I said, I will get some pics next time with some details. I did not mean to say that I have two speakers on one channel. There is a front and a rear, so I have both speakers on the front L and R.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
http://www.butleraudio.com/

Earmark carried the above brand years ago as purely a novelty along with some fullrange ribbon tweeters. Not sure if it was a hybrid. Silly in a car, I know.

David
It was someone else. I'm familiar with the Tube Driver and would have made the connection.

Here it is-
http://milbert.com/bam235ab
Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Sounds like a blown amp. I had an RF amp in a thunderbird back in highschool that did the same thing. Sounds to me like the amp is bad if it is not working in 4 channel and it overheats regularly.

I'm not a guru on this stuff but there isn't any setting on the amp that should hurt the amp. The amp should be able to put out what it says it can. I mean there may be a couple switches that if both are on then it could cause damages, but simply changing channels output and gain should have no affect on the amp. It would maybe blow speakers if overpowered but never the amp.

So it sounds like the amp is bad.

Maybe Earmark or Jim can chime in. They are the resident experts here.
I agree with traxx, the amp I blew this past summer did the same exact thing.