Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
It has a 2.0L turbo, becareful of sludge those 4 cylinders has issues if oil not changed on time and with synthetic oil only also some of the earlier 2.0L had turbo release valve issues, don't know if or when it was corrected, I left Audi in 2001 but I can't imagine they changed much. You know the same car company that has made the same 911 for 50 years. I would steer clear unless you have alot of extra cash to blow on stupid stuff breaking. Of course with any used car it might be a POS or it might be a great car.
+1. This is going back some years but I used to work on them as well and have the same thoughts. I'll add that there was always something little like sensor going out etc...

Here is a screen grab from consumer reports... Just pulled it. A whole lot of black for 2006.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
I had the same year! I nicknamed it "time bomb"! when one part broke the others all followed.

I will say that was a great handling car though!
True that!!

We lived in wide open Wyoming so a lot of open road. When it ran, it was a blast to drive!

Just did a quick search. That came up as a "Top 10" in Car and Driver in 1985!
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I think they're beautiful cars. I have heard, numerous times, that they are very expensive to own when they're off warranty.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
My son had an 2001 A4 1.8t - It is a true B.O.A.T. - break out another thousand. I finally traded it away after dumping too much cash in it. Nice driving car, good on gas, comfortable, felt safe, great looking. HOWEVER - Rear main oil leaks, computer problems, electrical problems with headlamp wipers - I finally disconnected them, valve cover leaks, cam seal leaks, When the stereo blows the fuse you get to pull the whole Effing dash out to change the fuse. Don't even think about pulling the trigger unless you are really shooting at it. It was always something breaking - If you like working on a car more than driving it.... BUY it!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Starting to sound like my first car - 1972 Fiat 128. I learned a LOT about cars while owning my Fiat!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
A friend of mine bought a used '10 A4 from an Audi dealership. He had so many problems from the start that he was constantly dealing with the dealership and Audi America regarding their warranty on the car. Eventually the dealership gave him full credit on a new one, which he decided to take them up on since he had basically complained himself into a corner.

The only problem he has had with the new one has been a driveline vibration at certain speed (not tire/wheel balance). They have admitted the problem to him and there engineers are supposedly working it out.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX
I've had the displeasure of working on a few Audis in my limited time, but they are still solid cars. I know some mechanics flat out refuse to work on them

And I am all for the beater as a first car.... Make them appreciate the car, and any vehicle in the future.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Dave, unless he is a DIY'er look at something else. I had an '06 A4 2.0T Quattro. SWEET very ZIPPY car. Always running 75-85 across I-76. It's an Adult's GTI. Quattro is unbelievable in the snow. I had it for 50k mi before we traded it on the wife's Q5 (69k on the clock). Now, there are issues with that generation engine. The fuel pump is ran off a cam lobe that may wear out, the cam follower that actuates the fuel pump may wear a hole in it. The cam follower is $50 or so, but the cam itself is pretty expensive. A complete brake job all the way around, pads and oem rotors will set you back north of $600. Rotors are usually too thin to turn by the time brakes are needed. Don't forget the timing belt and water pump change at 100-110K. I only had a clogged PCV valve while I owned it. Always ran Motul and bought OEM filters, did every oil change, the 40k mi service, bled my own brakes, had every reciept. Ran some type of Motul engine oil flush every-other oil change. At this point in my life it was getting small for my needs but it put a smile on my face everyday I drove it. The 328ix that replaced it was everything A4 wasn't, the bimmer just could not hold a candle to the audi's sweet motor, that's why I'm back in the turbo beetle with the 2.0T. Oh and consumer reports is fine for a toaster or microwave, don't believe them for a minute when looking for a car. They are all different, everyone has problems at some point. It's very difficult to buy a car so far away, good luck and find one local, preferrrably a CPO model with some warranty.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
And it's missing the cover over the engine, and the cover over the battery.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
Dave, unless he is a DIY'er look at something else. I had an '06 A4 2.0T Quattro. SWEET very ZIPPY car. Always running 75-85 across I-76. It's an Adult's GTI. Quattro is unbelievable in the snow. I had it for 50k mi before we traded it on the wife's Q5 (69k on the clock). Now, there are issues with that generation engine. The fuel pump is ran off a cam lobe that may wear out, the cam follower that actuates the fuel pump may wear a hole in it. The cam follower is $50 or so, but the cam itself is pretty expensive. A complete brake job all the way around, pads and oem rotors will set you back north of $600. Rotors are usually too thin to turn by the time brakes are needed. Don't forget the timing belt and water pump change at 100-110K. I only had a clogged PCV valve while I owned it. Always ran Motul and bought OEM filters, did every oil change, the 40k mi service, bled my own brakes, had every reciept. Ran some type of Motul engine oil flush every-other oil change. At this point in my life it was getting small for my needs but it put a smile on my face everyday I drove it. The 328ix that replaced it was everything A4 wasn't, the bimmer just could not hold a candle to the audi's sweet motor, that's why I'm back in the turbo beetle with the 2.0T. Oh and consumer reports is fine for a toaster or microwave, don't believe them for a minute when looking for a car. They are all different, everyone has problems at some point. It's very difficult to buy a car so far away, good luck and find one local, preferrrably a CPO model with some warranty.
I respectfully disagree. Sure every car is going to have problems but they way they do their ratings in my opinion makes a data point that carries considerable weight.

From there web page explaining how they get their ratings.

Where is the data from?

Consumer Reports obtains its reliability data from an Annual Questionnaire that is sent to subscribers to ConsumerReports.org and Consumer Reports magazine. In all, the survey was sent to over 7 million subscribers in 2012, and we received responses on 1.2 million vehicles.

How many samples do you have of each model?

While we do not publish information on individual sample sizes for specific models, we require a minimum of around 100 cars to publish reliability information for a model in a given model year. Our sample sizes tend to track quite closely with market sales. Individual sample sizes vary from year to year and range from a hundred to several thousand for the more popular models. A typical model has about 200 to 400 samples for each model year and engine variant.

Since we've opened the survey to subscribers of ConsumerReports.org, we have seen a substantial increase in survey responses in the past few years, so individual sample sizes have generally been on the rise, as well. This has given us sufficient sample sizes on a number of low-volume models.