Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-30-2016, 02:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Trailer woes

I expected that when my oil bath would break it would crack and leak oil. It appears to be in perfect order with exception to the fact all of the oil appears to have drained from a seal behind the bearing. (Hard to say from the photos but the only indication of catastrophic failure is a pool of oil)

Anyone have any experience with this sort of a failure? Any tips one what I do from here? (my pre-flight inspection caught the issue.... so silver lining is it's in the driveway.)

We were literally loaded the cooler, boat, hooked up trailer only to see a pool of oil once I pulled the boat out - day at Lake Sonoma cancelled until further notice.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
crap - hate seeing this...
Old 07-30-2016, 02:38 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks Mike... me too. I just want to go tot he LAKE LOL
Old 07-30-2016, 02:55 PM
MC Devotee

Has anyone here removed the hub to get tot he bearing? I dont want to beat on it... until I know I have to

I have the wheel removed the caliper removed.. but hub is not interested in separating without force. ANyone?
Old 07-30-2016, 03:36 PM
MC Devotee

FOund this on etrailers.... google searching my heart out to try and get on th elake AT least tomorrow....

"In my experience the Mastercraft boat trailers have an integrated hub and rotor that utilizes oil bath seals and caps. The integrated hub and rotor would need to be removed and a new hub and rotor would be needed to replace it. "

It certainly appears I have an integrated hub/oilbath/bearing..... whihc I think means I need to remove the whole flipping thing and the only parts I reuse are Caliper (I hope) and spindle.

if true that is a pretty CRUMMY design!!

Old 07-30-2016, 03:37 PM
MC Devotee

Is that Oil bath pressed on? Or does it screw on? It looks like it is pressed on!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:43 PM
MC Devotee

found this.....

Looks like I found the manual and yes the bath cover is pressed on... to remove beat it, gol ahead use two hands get a good grip and beat it:

drain oil from hub following “CHANGING OIL” instructions listed above.
Remove the GOLD wheel bearing protector. The protector is held in the hub by
an interference fit. To remove cap, lay a block of wood against the side of it and
strike the wood with a hammer. Place the wood on the opposite side and hit it
again. Continue this procedure until you slowly “walk” the cap out of the hub.
Remove the cotter pin and spindle nut retainer

link to manual:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...5&d=1364831256
Old 07-30-2016, 03:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209
The cap with sight glass is pressed on. Start tapping on the outside of the cap. You can also use a large flat blade screw driver and mini-sledge hammer to tap it out using the small lip next to the hub.

Once you remove the cap, you can undo the internal hub nut and remove the hub. replacing the inner seal is easy. Pop out the old seal, take it to the autoparts store and get a direct replacement.

Total time: 30 minutes (2 beer job)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:10 PM
MC Devotee

These grroves are machined in - the spindle and bearings are in perfect condition. The Seals not so much. At least 3 cracks in the lip.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:24 PM
MC Devotee

Bad news good news.... called around all the autoarts stores and used this National part number for one of the seals listed in the manual.

BAD:
I'm not 100% certain this is the correct seal for my system (the part number came from the manual not my part). Using part number "482163N"

GOOD:
Orielly can have the part to me tomorrow night at 6pm.... not ideal since NO LAKE TIME THIS WEEKEND but... I found the part and DID NOT have to contact Mastercraft - Norcal... could not get through to them by phone. The message says "we are busy leave a message we will get back to you at our convenience".

I personally HATE norcal Mastercraft. I have NEVER EVER had a good experience from the day I tried to bring 35k to buy a boat to the ONE AND ONLY time I had my boat serviced there. NEVER going back to them again unless I absolutley have to... I'd rather do the work myself and **** it up than pay those jerkoffs a dime. Hate that place.