Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
what to look for when buying 2004 X-Star

Hello All - I am set to go look at a 2004 X-star in a couple of days. It has the 350 HP MCX engine with 450 hours. Are there any specific things to check for on that engine? Anything on other parts of the running gear?

The guy has owned it for 6 years, but said that he has never done any tune-up to it. Also, has never changed the impeller. He said that the local Mastercraft dealer has always done the winterization. Wouldn't the dealer have suggested at least changing the spark plugs during those 6 years? Seems like the dealer would have definitely wanted to change the impeller. The seller doesn't seem overly mechanical, so it maybe something the dealer has done and he just didn't know it. I have asked him to bring me all of his service records.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
If never done, it needs:

Spark plugs, fuel filter (in tank), cap and rotor, impeller, change trans fluid.
Ballast impellers need to be the green ones, if yellow or black replace them.
Rudder update, was it ever replaced with the new larger rudder?
What prop is on it? 13.7 X 17 was stock and it's a pig. 14.25 X 14.5 OJ is the hot ticket

Also check the condition of the vinyl....lots of cracking that year around the stitching.
Check you brake calipers, if they are dragging you will need a new set of Kodiak calipers.

'05 gives you JL speakers, spinning board rack and throttle by wire. '04 does not.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Dave - Thanks for the info. Is there anything stamped on the rudder that would tell me if it is the larger one?

The guy said that he replaced almost all the vinyl last year with skins that he got from Mastercraft.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Here are pics of the old and new rudders. Pretty easy to tell the difference.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...86&postcount=3