Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2013, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 PS 209
Sufing Illegal In Illinois?

Here is my experience on Clinton Lake on Labor Day.

My son and his buddies were surfing when I got pulled over by DNR. The officers were very nice and informed me that it was now illegal to surf. They said even though I have an inboard the concern is if the boat were happen to suddenly stop the rider could hit the platform/boat.

I asked if the law was written down anywhere, he told me it was "hazardous operation" of the boat. I told them I learned from a DNR officer last year that "hazardous operation" was up to the discretion of the Officer. He then said it wasn't illegal but the law is coming. They told me a rider can not be on the first wave behind the boat. The must be on the second wave and be on a rope.

They said they were not writing tickets that day, just letting surfers know.
Any of you heard of any similar experiences?

If the law is going to state riders must be behind the first wave, technically a skiier is in front of that wave many times, just further back.

I emailed my dealer who forwarded my experience to a watersports lobby dealing with the issue in other states.
Thoughts???
Old 09-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Odd - lot's of surfer's on Illinois River - no one pulled over. Just called Tom Cross - House Republican Leader..
Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
That seems ridiculous.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Odd - lot's of surfer's on Illinois River - no one pulled over. Just called Tom Cross - House Republican Leader..
C'mon Mike.....He won't know anything about this. You need to talk to a liberal.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Surfing is very popular on the chain o lakes. The local county sheriffs are routinely passing through usually a few times a day and don't say anything usually give a wave if anything. The DNR and coasties are around but I rarely see them mostly on busy holidays. I think the DNR guys are more interested in the fishing/hunting crowd in my area anyway.

I've heard of stories (not here in Illinois) where law enforcement were harassing surfing folks on grounds of being a form of "teak surfing".
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I would be in touch with your Reps and find out the bill.
It might not even be a bill yet just scuttle butt or talk with in IL DNR. You could also call DNR and ask if they have any plans to encourage legislation.

Get on it if you do find some signs. I can tell you from our fight in KS getting engine noise legislation changed after they passed an initial bill very quick and quiet. Its much easier to voice and block legislation than change or repeal.
Most legislators have no clue on bills like this and it becomes more about favor trading for their pet bills than truly Representing their constituents.

To the DNR, tell him to stick to enforcing laws that are ON THE BOOKS not his agenda. Was the next question "BTW, have you been drinking?"
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
So, has anyone heard of any injuries yet where a surfer was hurt behind a DD or VD boat? Just wondering....

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
Is there a maximum speed that is considered surfing? If it is up to their discretion then they COULD deem that slalom is "hazardous operation" since we're on or outside of the first wave...
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
C'mon Mike.....He won't know anything about this. You need to talk to a liberal.
I'll ask Scott Walker - he's knows more about the laws in Illinois than Illinois legislators...

Johnny DNR was writing an open liquor violation in a state park when cruiser pulled up to the park to put trash in the dumpster - meanwhile an under age youth sped off full throttle on a jet ski between the the boats waiting to trailer up - or pickup passengers... in a no wake zone.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 x star
Should have offered to take hI'm for a surf and ask him if he fealt in danger at anytime. Haha. Honestly has to be the least hazardous watersport I've found