Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-14-2014, 04:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by supturb89 View Post
19_Skier,

First off, thanks for the detailed write-up so far and sorry for the threadjack. After reading through this I've decided I need to tackle this myself. My 96 has lots of vibration in reverse and the low speed "chugging" when moving forward. At speed there are no noticeable vibrations. I have owned the boat for almost four years and it has always been this way. Obviously I don't suffer from MCOCD because my 4-blade OJ 13x13 has a few dings in it here and there and I've always contributed these symptoms to that. I'm planning on replacing the prop with a CNC Acme/OJ anyway, but now I think I should replace the cutlass bearing as well. Besides the bearing and a good puller what else do I need to have on-hand? Did you get your cutlass bearing from SKIDIM? Thanks.
Thanks but I really have no idea what I am doing! Everything I have done up to now I learned from researching this forum. I have depended heavily on the knowledge that has been shared in the past here for everything I do with the boat.

I haven't bought bearings yet, but since I'm north of the border it likely won't be from skidim as the shipping costs are killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post
Hello there

Leave the puller in place with the tension applied , apply some local heat to the flange with a butane type plumbers blow torch ,while still hot use a hammer and drift or punch to jar the flange .
it will come off .

Usual heath and safty don't burn yourself dont set the boat on fire etc.

Good luck

Kevin
We had a torch on it a few times and tried with a hammer to break it free. No success yet. My biggest problem is I have no room at my place for the boat so it is stuck 45 mins away even though it's out of storage. I really envy those with their boat sitting at their place all winter.

Another note, I talked with the local MC dealership today. They said there are bearings built into the strut that may be worn out and in that case I need a completely new strut? Is this true? I thought this was the cutlass bearings which can be replaced, no?

The prices they gave me to do some of the work are quite reasonable, and since I will be completely tied up in four weeks, I may just bit the bullet and have them deal with it. My only issue is them saying I may need a new strut.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19_Skier View Post
.......They said there are bearings built into the strut that may be worn out and in that case I need a completely new strut? Is this true? I thought this was the cutlass bearings which can be replaced, no?
Only thing that I could see that warrants a new strut is that it's bent or damaged beyond use. You can replace the sleeve bearing easily enough. Plenty of info here on the forum and here ==> http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass

Yes, same bearing, same thing....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Only thing that I could see that warrants a new strut is that it's bent or damaged beyond use. You can replace the sleeve bearing easily enough. Plenty of info here on the forum and here ==> http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass

Yes, same bearing, same thing....

Thanks for confirming Cloaked. I was positive I had it right but when the dealer started telling me something different, it made me question. I am going to give it one more try on Friday, if it won't pop off then up to the dealer with her.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Finally got back down to the boat today to get at the coupler again. Gave it a couple wacks and - SUCCESS!! Taking shaft in to get it looked at next week.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

So I ran out of time with this project when we had our 2nd child in early May. I took the boat up to Buckeye Marine, the local MC dealer to look at it. The shaft wasn't the issue, although it was toast, it was the strut that was bent. Since I never hit anything, must have been before I bought the boat. So new strut and shaft plus a reconditioned prop, bottom end is all brand new.

Buckeye made a mistake when they quoted me the price, they told me the shaft just needed to be reconditioned and would be OK when in fact I actually needed a new shaft. They honoured the original quote making the total cost barely more than it would have cost me to order the parts alone! Although it took longer than originally expected, the guys at Buckeye were great and I would recommend them to anyone in Ontario.

Putting the boat in this weekend, hoping for a smooth start to 2014!