Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
My boat has a ghost. i unplugged my pump and switched the wire harness with a working pump and the one that wasn't working is now working. So i figured bad wiring. So i switched the wiring back and after a few times of toggling the switch on and off the pump started working (all 3 pumps). I still have a check engine light though. Could the battery dropping down to 11.4 volts be causing my check engine light?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

My battery turns out to be bad. After I replace the battery I will see if my check engine light goes off.

Last edited by Topp dawg; 09-06-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

I replaced the battery today and I am still having trouble. The check engine light is still on. And when the boat is running I try to turn on the blower and all my gauges drop to zero like they just lost power except for my perfect pass gauge. The perfect pass gauge consistently reads 13volts. Then after about5 seconds all my gauges go back to normal. And the blower never turns on. Anyone seen this before?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

I was told my blower is tripping the breaker and causing everything else to reset. Will replacing my blower fix this issue? Could the blower also be causing my check engine light?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
You are having multiple issues and maybe should check some more top level things. I would look at the battery cables and make sure they are all ok. I would then check all your grounds and make sure they are ok. Not broken or corroded. I would check your alternator connection. Charge the battery and see what happens. You need to do these things just to restore your confidence and convince yourself they are ok. You then need a multi meter. A good one is nice, but a harbor freight one will work. You need one that measures dc voltage and checks for continuity. Unplug your pumps and see what voltage you have. I think the pumps are 12volts. Also check your blower. Once you are convinced you have 12volts look on
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

With the new battery the ballast pumps all work perfectly. I am having a mechanic come over tomorrow and he will be checking my electrical system for me. I will probably have him switch out the blower too.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
If the battery helped the pumps then it sounds like low voltage. They could have been stuck, but sounds more like a voltage issue. One thing to check on these is the ground wire on the back of the alternator. For some reason, they galvanically corrode bad. I thought my alt was getting weak but when I went to check the ground wire, it broke off in my hand. Put a new end on it and never looked back. Hope your mechanic finds a simple solution.

I am still waiting for someone to explain how to reset the light. Maybe it will not reset until the fault is cleared?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
TD, were you running the pumps with engine running or not running? If engine not running, then all electrical is off the battery and a bad battery could mean low voltage and, thus, no pumps. If engine running, then alternator dominates the electrical system (14V, 70-100A).

Assuming the pumps are OK, then depending on your answer you might have a bad battery (or just a run-down battery) or a bad alternator.

x2 on Jake's comment. My sound system was overwhelming alternator capacity, so the current draw toasted the alternator wires (esp that little bitty black ground). Everything looked OK until I jiggled the ground and it LITERALLY crumbled in my hands. Rebuilt alternator with 120A kit, upgraded the cables, and all good since.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

I had my battery tested and it was bad, i replaced the battery and the ballast pumps work perfectly (engine on and off). However the blower does not work and i believe it has a short bc all the gauges drop to zero only when i push the blower button. I am swapping the blower out today. I will check the wires on the alternator as well.

I want to thank everyone for giving me tips and advice, without this forum i would be lost and paying a mechanic for every little issue.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Swapped out the blower and the new one works perfect, however, now the gauges don't work on the dash. Checked battery connections and alternator wires and they were good. Tomorrow I'm taking the dash panel off to look at the backs of the gauges.