Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 09-02-2013, 04:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Tinting windshield question

So I pulled my windshield off my xstar yesterday and I was planning on taking the glass out of the frame and having it powder coated and glass tinted. But then I started to think if I could leave the glass in the frame for tint? Then I could have my painter do the frame afterwards. I had my last boat done this way so I figured it could be done again. My only concern was the glass curve that is so difficult for them to work with. But I figurethe frame won't hurt them installing the tint? I'm just trying to save myself more labor on my part and my powder coater lives pretty far away. You think this will be ok?

Also as far a tint I'm thinking no lower then 35%. My last boat was 5% and looked great but was a nightmare for site. I don't often come in at dusk but could happen once in awhile. Also my wife is going to be driving the boat often when I ride so I don't want too dark. Should I even think about higher percentage?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
As part of the powder coat process, the metal has to be baked in an over for the powder to set/cure. My guess is that the plastic tint material won't stand up to the heat. Any rubber seals/gaskets or glue holding the glass in isn't going to survive the heat either. If you're going to powder coat, you're going to have to pull the glass. Just have the tint done while the frame is being coated.
G
Old 09-02-2013, 04:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
As part of the powder coat process, the metal has to be baked in an over for the powder to set/cure. My guess is that the plastic tint material won't stand up to the heat. Any rubber seals/gaskets or glue holding the glass in isn't going to survive the heat either. If you're going to powder coat, you're going to have to pull the glass. Just have the tint done while the frame is being coated.
G
I was planning on having my painter do the frame if I chose to leave windshield in frame. I would only do powder if I took it apart.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Take it out of the frame, it'll look 10 times better really. No gaps to be seen that way. And yea I wouldn't go darker than 20%. Mine is 5 and that was a mistake but it looks good!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

For those of you who have the curved window and had your windshields tinted how much did the shops charge you? Just want to get a idea so I don't get ripped off.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X15
I've done it both ways, but my current boat I took my windshield apart and took the glass to the tint guy. I won't do it any other way going forward. The finish is so much better and like was said before, no gaps in the tint. I think he charged me $140. I had it done in 20% tint.

Pictures of mine for reference:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=54196
2006 X2
1968 Century Cheetah
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 X-Star
I took it all apart and had the frame powder coated too. $350 for everything and it looks good, but I went too dark. Next time I'll relax on the tint. It's not that big of a job, and the finish will be better due to the rubber gaskets in the panes of glass.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
I took it all apart and had the frame powder coated too. $350 for everything and it looks good, but I went too dark. Next time I'll relax on the tint. It's not that big of a job, and the finish will be better due to the rubber gaskets in the panes of glass.
Is that 20% on your Xstar?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 X-Star
I told them 'as dark as you can'. I didn't get an answer, but I'd say it's darker than 20%. It's hard to see through. I think it's 'limo tint' or 5%
Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
I told them 'as dark as you can'. I didn't get an answer, but I'd say it's darker than 20%. It's hard to see through. I think it's 'limo tint' or 5%
I had my last boat 5% and hated it. It looked sweet but it was terrible to see out of. I think I'm going to do 35% this time around. Won't look as cool but better vision and gives it a little bling. Did you powder coat your frame?