Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-18-2005, 12:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190 Sammy Duvall
Send a message via AIM to David4MCSammyDuvall Send a message via Yahoo to David4MCSammyDuvall
How to use the trailer brakes while parking on driveway?

My boat driveway is a little steep. I use a concrete block to put between the trailer tires to keep it steady. I want to know if there's a way to lock and unlock the trailer brakes while parking on the boat driveway ? It would be nice to be able to use the brakes to keep it there instead of rolling back and forth.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:27 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I don't know if the trailer breaks would keep it from rolling sans tow vehicle.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by David4MCSammyDuvall
My boat driveway is a little steep. I use a concrete block to put between the trailer tires to keep it steady. I want to know if there's a way to lock and unlock the trailer brakes while parking on the boat driveway ? It would be nice to be able to use the brakes to keep it there instead of rolling back and forth.
I'm thinking of the same way I suggested to the guy in UK who had a trailer that required a parking brake.... Why not devise some type of key like you have for reversing the trailer. A key that you'd insert in front of the actuator slide pin on each side while you're tow vehicle has the trailer backed up against the concrete chock? then when you release the hitch ball, the brakes stay engaged?

Last edited by Ric; 10-19-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190 Sammy Duvall
Send a message via AIM to David4MCSammyDuvall Send a message via Yahoo to David4MCSammyDuvall
A slide pin on each side is an excellent idea !!!! I wonder where can I find a slide pin ?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by David4MCSammyDuvall
A slide pin on each side is an excellent idea !!!! I wonder where can I find a slide pin ?
I dont know but I think making one from one of the keys that used to come with the trailers (available at your dealer for fairly cheap) could be modified to do this.
Let me re-iterate, I've never tried this and cannot attest to it's safety or child proof characteristics.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
In my vehicles, the parking break takes some pressure off the "park" gear, but I still feel it settle in. On your trailer, there's no gearing to keep it from rolling. I'd test it on a very gentle slope with several friends present holding onto your boat tightly, etc. I don't think those breaks are going to keep it from rolling if your driveway has any sort of grade to it. I could easily be wrong, but I don't trust my recently reworked brakes that much.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
This may sound like a strange question, but when you park the boat, is it facing uphill or down?

Most drum brakes work well in the forward direction, but poorly in reverse. That's why you can still back up with your E-Brake on. In addition, if they are electric brakes, they are weaker still, so you'll have less holding power.

I also have a steep driveway, and I've parked trailers on it often. I usually block all the wheels I can, and I don't use the nose jack wheel.

The other thing I've thought about doing is putting a concrete anchor in the ground, and then attaching a cable to the tongue of the trailer from that anchor...

Good Luck!

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 11-02-2005, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
I would think that relying on the trailer brakes to hold the trailer and boat on any kind of grade is a recipe for disaster. I'm sure if you did this for any length of time you would get up one morning to find your boat at the bottom of the hill. If you do this I would strongly recommend using a block in front of the wheels as a fool-proof safety brake, which is basically what you do now, so I'm not sure you would gain anything.

Just my suggestion. If I have misinterpreted your question, which is quite possible, just ignore my response.

Good luck with your boat.

Bruce

New boat - 1993 Prostar 205. Bought in better shape than the 190 was but still needed some work.