Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Pylon camera/holder????

I have a 1997 prostar 205. My 6 year old daughter skied for the 1st time this holiday weekend (she was pumping her first and giving me thumbs up). i was holding her ski's and my wife was driving. Daughter stood up and skied about 50 yards a couple of times. wife was able to take our iphone and snap 2 photos and 1 video that was not good.

so my question: ive googled and youtube different pylon holders (ski-doc, e-z-cam, wakeye, gopro boato pylon cam, i assume there are others). I do have a small video camera with a SD Card. What is a good one to purchase so that i can take good clear videos? I have a Canon Vixia HF M500. i also don't want this holder flying off the pylon and my camera at the bottom of the lake (ive heard that happening).

Thanks in advance. moski
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Mzito has one that is awesome. Don't know what brand. I've only used it w iPhone. I'm pretty sure you can use w video cam as well. Pm him.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
I love my GoPro. I have probably 2X the cost of a GoPro in mounting accessories. Surf mounts on all our skis and boards, helmet mounts, extension pole mount, bar mounts, you name it. I have some totally awesome videos and photos taken in the last 3 years with my GoPro. There is a reason it is far and away the #1 HD camera in use.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
ski-doc is great - get a cheaper camera - JVC everio - go a HD refurb on ebay for $80. Ski Doc $60.

SO $140 for the set - keep your good camera in your hands. IMO
Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
I love my GoPro. I have probably 2X the cost of a GoPro in mounting accessories. Surf mounts on all our skis and boards, helmet mounts, extension pole mount, bar mounts, you name it. I have some totally awesome videos and photos taken in the last 3 years with my GoPro. There is a reason it is far and away the #1 HD camera in use.
I love my GoPro too - BUT to video someone from the boat at the end of a long line - the GoPro doesn't have enough focal length. You typically need to recognize their vest or trunks to know who it is. I'd love a GoPro with zoom.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 09-04-2013, 11:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
In the years that I have been using a GoPro I have found that mounting to semi-rigid objects that are vibrating as part of the action is a bad thing. Example: putting a helmet mount on. Sure you get great video but with hard carving on a snowboard the chatter the camera experiences makes for a lousy video. Wakeboarding and water ski mounts that attach directly to the ski are also not great. I have had better luck finding a solid mount that does not vibrate like the tower of a boat as compared to a barefoot boom for example. Both give good angle shots of barefooters, but the boom vibrates like mad and it shows up in the videos. The towers mounts are better, but still not great.

If the camera can be gotten out onto the end of a pole then Newtonian Physics take over and the image is often rock solid stable. Far and away the best images I have are when I use an Xshot pole mount (www.xshot.com). The images are rock solid especially when I flip the recording of the camera over and let the camera hang on the pole rather than be above it.

The next issue is getting close enough to actually see what is going on. Taking images of video from a boat is way too far away. I have had much better results following along side with another boat or even getting up on a board next to the skier or boarder I am trying to video. Sure it can make for a crowded ride, but by getting 20 or even 10 feet away the images are much better.

As for losing the camera, the Xshot pole floats when fully extended and there are also back doors for GoPros that have floaters attached to them. I drop my camera all the time in the water and we just swing back and pick it up.