Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2004, Yellow
Not sure what is wrong with my X7

I have been having a reoccurring problem this summer that has kept me from using the boat since about July.
The problem first occurred about two seasons ago during the last outing for the season. We put the boat in a it fired up as it always did. My friend took the first barefoot run all the way to the end of the river. I shut the boat off when he got in the boat so I could get ready for a run. When we tried to start the boat it would not completely turn over. It sounded similar to what the motor does when the safety lanyard is disconnected. We check just that and it was snug. The next thing you would think was if the fuel pump was going dead. By that point we received a tow back to the ramp. When we got back home I hooked it up to a fake lake and it fired right up like nothing happened. At this point I decided to just winterize it and deal with the issue in the spring.

The next spring I took the boa out to test it and it fired right up with no problems. So I used it all season with no issue.

Forward to this season- I had the same situation reoccur. When we put the boat in it fired right up as usual but once the boat was turned off it would not restart on a hot start.
After talking with the dealer we concluded that the fuel pump must be dying when it got hot. I replaced the fuel pump with a friend and quickly found out that it was not the issue as the problem happened again.

At this point I decided it would just be best to take it to our dealer.(They are AWESOME by the way and this post isn't in anyway directed towards them). The head mechanic concluded that it was either the ECM-Electronic Computer Module or possibly the fact that the distributor cap was corroded beyond anything I've seen before. So we decided to go with the cheaper repair first but that didn't fix it.
So we were left with the ECM replacement which was recommended by Indmar's engineer.
We went out after the ECM replacement and the problem continued.

That puts us where I am today. They Dealer has my boat and they are working to try and figure out the cause of the problem. I am getting good fuel pressure, spark, and voltage.
The boat always fires up on a cold start but as soon as it gets hot and it is shut off it won't fire back up on a warm start.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgboyd25 View Post
I have been having a reoccurring problem this summer that has kept me from using the boat since about July.
The problem first occurred about two seasons ago during the last outing for the season. We put the boat in a it fired up as it always did. My friend took the first barefoot run all the way to the end of the river. I shut the boat off when he got in the boat so I could get ready for a run. When we tried to start the boat it would not completely turn over. It sounded similar to what the motor does when the safety lanyard is disconnected. We check just that and it was snug. The next thing you would think was if the fuel pump was going dead. By that point we received a tow back to the ramp. When we got back home I hooked it up to a fake lake and it fired right up like nothing happened. At this point I decided to just winterize it and deal with the issue in the spring.

The next spring I took the boa out to test it and it fired right up with no problems. So I used it all season with no issue.

Forward to this season- I had the same situation reoccur. When we put the boat in it fired right up as usual but once the boat was turned off it would not restart on a hot start.
After talking with the dealer we concluded that the fuel pump must be dying when it got hot. I replaced the fuel pump with a friend and quickly found out that it was not the issue as the problem happened again.

At this point I decided it would just be best to take it to our dealer.(They are AWESOME by the way and this post isn't in anyway directed towards them). The head mechanic concluded that it was either the ECM-Electronic Computer Module or possibly the fact that the distributor cap was corroded beyond anything I've seen before. So we decided to go with the cheaper repair first but that didn't fix it.
So we were left with the ECM replacement which was recommended by Indmar's engineer.

That puts us where I am today. They Dealer has my boat and they are working to try and figure out the cause of the problem. I am getting good fuel pressure, spark, and voltage.
The boat always fires up on a cold start but as soon as it gets hot and it is shut off it won't fire back up on a warm start.
When you say "it would not completely turn over", you mean the starter is turning over very slowly, somewhat like when you have an almost dead battery? It may in fact be the starter itself. Several posts on here where that was the issue. Seems a little premature for a 2004 boat, but possible I'm sure. It would cost nothing to remove starter and have it bench checked at an auto parts store.

Mine had the slow hot start condition as well. It would just barely turn over, leaving you stranded. Next time, cold start in driveway, had no issues. Several cycles like that will drive you crazy. I replaced starter with a new Arco gear reduction type and problem solved. Starters can look fine and still be bad.

Of course, you should have already checked the cables, terminal connections, ground, etc. I'll say it before someone else does, Stop throwing parts at the problem until the problem is diagnosed, especially expensive ones like ecm's and fuel pumps.

Not sure why dealer would think the ecm is bad if it is not turning over? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue. Does it (crank) turning over freely, just doesn't start when hot?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgboyd25 View Post

If the ECM replacement didn't cure the problem, I would hesitate to consider them AWESOME.

Did they connect it to a diagnostic computer to view the data? If not, why not? That would rule out a lot of possible causes.

Open the throttle a little and see if it starts. If it does, make sure the ECT is good.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
^^^^ what he said... what's the engine temp when this happens?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Check your relay switches. They are on at the back of the motor on top. Should be 3 of them. I run into the same problem a couple of years back. In and out of the water, thought it was pump, changed that and ran for a while and bam, down again....after a thorough inspection of all wires, fuses, switches, ignition blah, blah....we found it to be one of the relay switches. Pulled it apart and there was a burned spot on one of the prongs. Move it one way, boat would fire, move it another and boat would not.

relay switches are $14. keep one handy, it has happened to other boating friends of mine, and the first thing they do is replace the pump only to still have problems later.....

give it a look.
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs X2
Have you tried dancing on the motor box? hehehehe

Check the most simple items, cables and connections. Try wiggleing the relays, connections etc next time it wont start.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
I've been around the boat a few times when this has occurred and it is not battery or starter related as it will crank over just fine but never seems to fire. When it first comes off the trailer it fires right up and so long as you do not turn it off, it runs just fine but turn it off and it will not re-start. They have hooked-up diagnostics to it but unfortunately it is not throwing any codes that I am aware of, although a fellow MC owner ran diagnostics on it while on the water and thought the issue to the Air Idle Control Module. Certainly would make sense as it seems to be choking itself out when trying a warm/hot start but fires right up when cold. For what it is worth it is an MCX.
Hope this helps to get more thoughts rolling and get this boat back on the water.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I've been around the boat a few times when this has occurred and it is not battery or starter related as it will crank over just fine but never seems to fire. When it first comes off the trailer it fires right up and so long as you do not turn it off, it runs just fine but turn it off and it will not re-start. They have hooked-up diagnostics to it but unfortunately it is not throwing any codes that I am aware of, although a fellow MC owner ran diagnostics on it while on the water and thought the issue to the Air Idle Control Module. Certainly would make sense as it seems to be choking itself out when trying a warm/hot start but fires right up when cold. For what it is worth it is an MCX.
Hope this helps to get more thoughts rolling and get this boat back on the water.
Opening the throttle would make it start if the IAC wasn't opening or if the ECT was causing too much fuel to be delivered when it's hot.

Electronic circuits don't operate correctly when some components are out of range and thermal problems WRT electronics are harder to diagnose, but not impossible. This one topic is why ALL dealers need to hire service techs with a solid electronics background.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Cold start only... sounds like temp issue IMO. Check the T-stat - try running without it. the no start after running has been discussed here a number of times. Or - check ECT sensor - if it send wrong data ECU will not send enough gas to start which is what my 95 did....engine will just turn turn turn from starter. Hence JimN's advice of moving throttle forward to see if start.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I was also there when our fellow TT member was running the diagnostics. When they tried to start it acted as if it was starving for something and there was a lot of fuel smell in the air, so we all guessed "AIR". He then 'exercised' the AIC (I think that was what he did) and it started right up. However, after running it back to the ramp and loading it up, he shut it off and tried starting it again, with no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Opening the throttle would make it start if the IAC wasn't opening or if the ECT was causing too much fuel to be delivered when it's hot.

Electronic circuits don't operate correctly when some components are out of range and thermal problems WRT electronics are harder to diagnose, but not impossible. This one topic is why ALL dealers need to hire service techs with a solid electronics background.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams