Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 MC Stars and Stripes
1979 S&S Stringer repair. Full stinger replacement or patch job

So my father in law and I started tearing into the floor of the 1979 Stars and Stripes we bought a couple of years ago. We bought the bought because we thought we could get it going again after the previous owner ran over a rock and tore up the running gear. I've slowly procured replacement parts for that stuff just missing a tracking fin and a prop but we just haven't had time or serious motivation to get started in it till this weekend. So we started looking at the stingers we could access under the rear panel near the rudder and you can tell the back two feet of wood in the stinger is gone. So we started tearing the rest of the floor up and it appears the secondary stringers are questionable they are just loose in general and there's a spot behind the drivers seat that is crushed down. The area in front of the engine on the main stringer appears to be rotten but it looks like they patched a piece of wood in on the passenger side which looks good to go but again farther to the front is starting to rot and behind the engine is rotting. My father in law who has worked in plastics and fiberglass as part owner of a fiberglass and plastics manufacturing company feels that we we can fill in the voids with either fiberglass or a SeaCast material and than avoid pulling the motor to do a full replacement. His fear is in pulling the motor we will run into more issues with disconnecting things and than realigning the motor and driveshaft. My feeling is that the good or decent wood that is left near the engine mounts is going to rot out and we will be tearing the floor out again. FIL also believes the stingers other than the motor mounts are just there to support the floor and don't provide any additional stability to the hull. So my question is how hard is to pull the motor amd how hard will it be to get things back together. Right now the entire floor is out I was looking at Meadracings thread with the pourable stringers and I like that idea but there's little feedback that I've found after they have been installed and if it worked well. So do you guys have any advise on how to proceed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM
TT Newbie

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM
TT Newbie

[IMG]

Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM
TT Newbie

1979 S&S Stringer repair. Full stinger replacement or patch job

Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Cliff notes. Too much to read. What is it you are wanting to know?

There are a lot of threads here that describe a complete stringer replacement plus other links for the same (read here ==> http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks/ ).

I'd rip out the stringers and start with new Douglas fir, hand hewn to fit, set in place, cover with fiber resin, etc... Tedious but pretty straight forward. I did this many years ago and it's not all that bad of a job. What got me was that at that point, the boat is open for perfection of a rebuild and the budget goes out the door... everything can be redone at that point without fear of more tear-down work.

Good time to rebuild the transmission, etc.. on and on.... $$$$$$

Nice looking hull.....you've got a good machine to work on, or so it appears.... New carpet too.. $$$$$$

Dis-assembly and re-assembly is equally straight forward. Disconnect from transmission and engine mounts etc., lift the engine, and go to work. Upon re-assembly IMHO, I'd never consider refoaming the basement. It will be fine without it.

I venture to say that anything you need to know or run into, it is addressed somewhere on this forum. I saw another thread today that someone was looking for a service manual. This forum is about as good as it gets.....

Don't lose the belly pan for the trailer unless you want to ship it to me for a fair price.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-09-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
The stringers are the backbone of the hull and are not there just to "hold up the floor". It will take nearly as much time and money to come up with a kluge solution as it will to do it properly (full stringer replacement). Getting the engine put back in where it belongs is not hard- just make sure your new stringers are the proper height in the area of the motormounts. Take a lot of pictures and measurements before disassembly. So long as youre within reason, you can get it aligned- the PCM mounts have a lot of adjustment.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:02 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
The stringers are the backbone of the hull and are not there just to "hold up the floor". It will take nearly as much time and money to come up with a kluge solution as it will to do it properly (full stringer replacement). Getting the engine put back in where it belongs is not hard- just make sure your new stringers are the proper height in the area of the motormounts. Take a lot of pictures and measurements before disassembly. So long as youre within reason, you can get it aligned- the PCM mounts have a lot of adjustment.
That is what I thought and I am afraid just patching it now will require pulling the floor up in a couple of years to fix it again...

Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
You are getting good advice here. Especially the part about taking lots of pictures. I know I will have to do this on my '77 some day but so far the stringers are still solid. Good luck.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com