Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
I am definitely not a fan of bigger government or them sticking their nose in what I like to do, but why don't we require boat licensing like driver licensing for cars. It's probably more dangerous to learn to drive a boat than it is to learn to drive a car. Not to mention who is doing the teaching of people that are getting a boat for the first time? Themselves is the answer. I bet half of new boat owners don't even know the boating laws when they buy a new boat and take it out the first time. We have graduated drivers licenses for young people so that they can learn to drive before they have a car load of people. Have a written test and a boat driving test before you get your license just like a car. It would educate people that there are different ways that people use their boats and some common courtesies could be taught to everyone. Now whether they actual follow what they learn after they get back on the water that is a different story.
Welcome to boating in Australia!
You must have a boat licence / PWC licence to operate either! It is linked to your drivers licence and subject to the same penalties, and you have to do a strict test first.

Blood alcohol over 0.5.... loose your boat licence AND your drivers license, and if you are considdered "High Range" blood alcohol the law can confiscate your boat. Reckless driving can mean loss of licence as well. Cops patrol popular areas on high power PWC's and have the power to stop and search your boat for safety gear.. all kids wearing life vests, enough vests for all on board, boat registration, breath test etc.

Still does not deter the idiots but you can video them as the boat registration is linked to your licence as well......

Now only if there was a test for common sense.....or even courtsey ....?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
You must have a boat licence / PWC licence to operate either! It is linked to your drivers licence and subject to the same penalties, and you have to do a strict test first.

Blood alcohol over 0.5.... loose your boat licence AND your drivers license, and if you are considdered "High Range" blood alcohol the law can confiscate your boat. Reckless driving can mean loss of licence as well. Cops patrol popular areas on high power PWC's and have the power to stop and search your boat for safety gear.. all kids wearing life vests, enough vests for all on board, boat registration, breath test etc.

Still does not deter the idiots but you can video them as the boat registration is linked to your licence as well......

Now there you go - injecting trying inject logic in those who have no capacity for it...

I hope to capture some idiocy tomorrow as we have a holiday weekend... - you guys down under starting to see a glimmer of spring?
Old 08-31-2013, 10:03 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:

That has got to keep some of the meat heads from performing.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Quote:

Canada has a boaters license as well, but it doesn't really mean much. The exam mostly pertains to operating on major waterways rather than small inland lakes. The RCMP will search your boat for safety gear, life vests and alcohol as well. In reality, there's never going to be a licensing program that states "you can't tow tubes with an XStar and make waves on the lake", however nice that might be. Too many people tube. I was recently on holidays with my whole family in Saskatchewan, and you think incoild get any of the kids to try waterskiing? Man, that damn tube was the bane of my existence!

There will always be people who don't understand. Pretty much everything covered in the Canadian boaters license is for general safety, and nothing on common courtesy. I was running a slalom course last weekend and a guy with 5 kids in his boat drives past me fallen in the middle of the course, and parks it right at the end of the closing gate, maybe 50' off the bouys! I idled over there to explain what the slalom course was and that we would be done in about a half hour, if he wouldn't mind moving, and he runs his yap about having the right to fish wherever he pleases! That's a real lesson to teach the kids in your boat... It's not like we could move the slalom course.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Nautique 210 2011 PCM EX343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Used to be inboards were slalom boats and the owners were skiers that liked flat water and drove to preserve that.

Wallys had I/O's and pulled tubes and drove in circles. Inboard boat builders went after that market with the big tuna boats like the ballasted wakeboard boats. Any kid with a steady job can qualify for the loans and the lakes are full of them. They were allways there but now they have inboards.
You hit the nail on the head with this explanation. Just las week we watched a BU 247 doing wallys, getting too close to other boats, standing up driving. Pretty much broke every rule in the book. All appeared to be mid to late 20's. They had no clue.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Now there you go - injecting trying inject logic in those who have no capacity for it...

I hope to capture some idiocy tomorrow as we have a holiday weekend... - you guys down under starting to see a glimmer of spring?
Spring has Sprung Downunder! Perfect day today for a ski! I am sure mother nature will throw a few last minute cold snaps but summer is comming ....!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
Canada has a boaters license as well, but it doesn't really mean much. The exam mostly pertains to operating on major waterways rather than small inland lakes. The RCMP will search your boat for safety gear, life vests and alcohol as well. In reality, there's never going to be a licensing program that states "you can't tow tubes with an XStar and make waves on the lake", however nice that might be. Too many people tube. I was recently on holidays with my whole family in Saskatchewan, and you think incoild get any of the kids to try waterskiing? Man, that damn tube was the bane of my existence!

There will always be people who don't understand. Pretty much everything covered in the Canadian boaters license is for general safety, and nothing on common courtesy. I was running a slalom course last weekend and a guy with 5 kids in his boat drives past me fallen in the middle of the course, and parks it right at the end of the closing gate, maybe 50' off the bouys! I idled over there to explain what the slalom course was and that we would be done in about a half hour, if he wouldn't mind moving, and he runs his yap about having the right to fish wherever he pleases! That's a real lesson to teach the kids in your boat... It's not like we could move the slalom course.
50 feet off the bouys is out of the way I find they leave after a few sprays in the face off a ski They kind of deserve it after you were nice and explained to them.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 X-Star
He was inline with the end of the course, about 50' out. My driver had to turn before I came out of the closing gate. We did turn around him a half dozen times after he didn't move, but I felt bad about it. He had kids in there.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerR View Post
You hit the nail on the head with this explanation. Just las week we watched a BU 247 doing wallys, getting too close to other boats, standing up driving. Pretty much broke every rule in the book. All appeared to be mid to late 20's. They had no clue.
Out skiing early today and like clockwork they showed up at the crack of noon to do circles in the cove beside the course with the surfers. Do they need smooth water to make waves for surfing or couldn't they do that out in the bigger parts of the lake. Unfortunately this time of year the river is low and we are forced to ski in the lake but after this weekend they all put em away