Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Mr or Mrs Wally are on.y every lake! We have the same thing ... Have a person or two like that in our cove and about every weekend have a few that decide to come down our cove and look at all the houses ... Plowing with massive rollers

We were out footing a few weeks ago and at 7:45 here comes Mr Wally ... Big wave, slow turn and then he was gone

Oh well ... We are all waking up in the right side of the grass, we are living in Syria, and of course we have this awesome forum!

Good morning from the Virgin Atlantic lounge in London
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
I am definitely not a fan of bigger government or them sticking their nose in what I like to do, but why don't we require boat licensing like driver licensing for cars. It's probably more dangerous to learn to drive a boat than it is to learn to drive a car. Not to mention who is doing the teaching of people that are getting a boat for the first time? Themselves is the answer. I bet half of new boat owners don't even know the boating laws when they buy a new boat and take it out the first time. We have graduated drivers licenses for young people so that they can learn to drive before they have a car load of people. Have a written test and a boat driving test before you get your license just like a car. It would educate people that there are different ways that people use their boats and some common courtesies could be taught to everyone. Now whether they actual follow what they learn after they get back on the water that is a different story.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
I see this all the time as well. Especially by our boat club ramp on the river. I think some boaters just never look behind them!?!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willski View Post
I see this all the time as well. Especially by our boat club ramp on the river. I think some boaters just never look behind them!?!

Nothing better than loading a boat on a stormy/windy day, with some idiot plowing by! That's what I call the boaters perfect storm
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-2
had this happen to us the other week on Lake Travis. We tied up with another boat and where all in the water just chilling... all of a sudden some guy with a Glastron rolls by 15 yards off our boats through the cove at 10mph.... Not a care in the world and ended up doing it multiple times... he got the air horn from me the second time. Just threw his hands up like "uh.. sup dude?"
Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
I am definitely not a fan of bigger government or them sticking their nose in what I like to do, but why don't we require boat licensing like driver licensing for cars. It's probably more dangerous to learn to drive a boat than it is to learn to drive a car. Not to mention who is doing the teaching of people that are getting a boat for the first time? Themselves is the answer. I bet half of new boat owners don't even know the boating laws when they buy a new boat and take it out the first time. We have graduated drivers licenses for young people so that they can learn to drive before they have a car load of people. Have a written test and a boat driving test before you get your license just like a car. It would educate people that there are different ways that people use their boats and some common courtesies could be taught to everyone. Now whether they actual follow what they learn after they get back on the water that is a different story.
I totally agree, including pre-launch prep, launching, docking retrieval to the test!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Well at least you didn't have a boat driver (inboard - moomba) driver go full speed with a tube with kids between the boat I was in and a boat with kids behind it 50 feet from our boat where we slowed to idle. After last weekend - I know long have it out for Jet Skis... - I saw more unsafe drivers than I could count... - scary poop Sunday a few times...
I was pulling my daughter and friend on a tube on Sunday, it was pretty busy but not crazy. Off to starboard I see an X-Star pulling three tubes. 'Hey cool, a fellow MC owner' I thought. Then I noticed the crazy zig-zag...there is an observer and a driver in 'star. They are overtaking me from starboard...zig-zagging along whipping the three tubes outside of the wake. As he approached withing 50' of me I'm blowing the horn and checking around me to make sure I'm good to cut the power, which I did. I throw my arms up like '***'. Obverser never even acknowledges we are there...and the kid on the closest tube - now about 30' from my bow and heading in front of my boat gives the the index and pinky rock-and-roll surfer dude salute! Like, I guess this kid thought it was normal to have is jackwagon dad whip their boat and tube into another boat's way. Yeah, before this I'd held MC owners and inboards to a higher standard. No more.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 08-29-2013, 05:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Same issue on our lake.

I do think these people don't know what they are doing and think they are being nice. I know my dad was one of them. Took awhile for me to convince him that the boat needs to go either <6 or >19 and not in between.
That's the key. Many, many people don't realize this.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
I was pulling my daughter and friend on a tube on Sunday, it was pretty busy but not crazy. Off to starboard I see an X-Star pulling three tubes. 'Hey cool, a fellow MC owner' I thought. Then I noticed the crazy zig-zag...there is an observer and a driver in 'star. They are overtaking me from starboard...zig-zagging along whipping the three tubes outside of the wake. As he approached withing 50' of me I'm blowing the horn and checking around me to make sure I'm good to cut the power, which I did. I throw my arms up like '***'. Obverser never even acknowledges we are there...and the kid on the closest tube - now about 30' from my bow and heading in front of my boat gives the the index and pinky rock-and-roll surfer dude salute! Like, I guess this kid thought it was normal to have is jackwagon dad whip their boat and tube into another boat's way. Yeah, before this I'd held MC owners and inboards to a higher standard. No more.
Used to be inboards were slalom boats and the owners were skiers that liked flat water and drove to preserve that.

Wallys had I/O's and pulled tubes and drove in circles. Inboard boat builders went after that market with the big tuna boats like the ballasted wakeboard boats. Any kid with a steady job can qualify for the loans and the lakes are full of them. They were allways there but now they have inboards.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Used to be inboards were slalom boats and the owners were skiers that liked flat water and drove to preserve that.

Wallys had I/O's and pulled tubes and drove in circles. Inboard boat builders went after that market with the big tuna boats like the ballasted wakeboard boats. Any kid with a steady job can qualify for the loans and the lakes are full of them. They were allways there but now they have inboards.
Agreed. There were maybe 3-4 inboards on our whole lake back in the day. The v drive is the new wally boat in the wrong hands.