Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 AM
TripleThreat's Avatar
TripleThreat TripleThreat is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Location: Midwest
Posts: 148
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
Driving tips - New Skiers

Hello all,

I'm looking for driving tips when pulling new skiers... I just purchased a Prostar 209.

I have two daughters, ages 11 and 13, who are wanting to learn to ski.

Aside from the basics...
  • Proper body position of the skier
  • Line the skier up directly behind the boat
  • Maintain a constant speed
  • Maintain smooth water by turning and driving back through your previous path rather than drive in circles
  • etc...

I'm looking specifically for advice on acceleration during deep water starts.

Is it better to start with a slow pull where the skier stays submerged in the water longer and gradually gets pulled up as the boat gains speed, or is it better to get them up on top of the water quickly with rapid acceleration?

I have conflicting thoughts on this as grip strength for the long slow pull might be a struggle for small hands, but a rapid shot out of the water may create more difficulty in gaining balance right from the start.

I searched the web, but couldn't find anything on driving technique as it pertains to starts with new skiers, just advice for the skier on body position.

Jeff
__________________
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM
starman205's Avatar
starman205 starman205 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2004 Prostar 197TT
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 506
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking for driving tips when pulling new skiers... I just purchased a Prostar 209.

I have two daughters, ages 11 and 13, who are wanting to learn to ski.

Aside from the basics...
  • Proper body position of the skier
  • Line the skier up directly behind the boat
  • Maintain a constant speed
  • Maintain smooth water by turning and driving back through your previous path rather than drive in circles
  • etc...

I'm looking specifically for advice on acceleration during deep water starts.

Is it better to start with a slow pull where the skier stays submerged in the water longer and gradually gets pulled up as the boat gains speed, or is it better to get them up on top of the water quickly with rapid acceleration?

I have conflicting thoughts on this as grip strength for the long slow pull might be a struggle for small hands, but a rapid shot out of the water may create more difficulty in gaining balance right from the start.

I searched the web, but couldn't find anything on driving technique as it pertains to starts with new skiers, just advice for the skier on body position.

Jeff
Slower pull out of the water in my opinion. Your boat has so much pull you will be surprised how quickly young skiers (who typically do not weigh much) will pop out of the water especially on two skis.
__________________
NEW BOAT:2004 197TT

PREVIOUS BOAT:1993 Prostar 205
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM
russlars's Avatar
russlars russlars is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,376
I agree-slow pull until they are out of the hole and then a slow progressive pull up to the desired speed which may be around 20-24mph depending on their size and weight if on 2 skis.
__________________
1999 Prostar 205 with 330 HP LTR
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Bert's Avatar
Bert Bert is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: Prostar 190
Location: Sicamous
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by starman205 View Post
Slower pull out of the water in my opinion. Your boat has so much pull you will be surprised how quickly young skiers (who typically do not weigh much) will pop out of the water especially on two skis.
Exactly correct.

If you have the old speedos remember they lag quite a bit. Learn to go by RPM. A young lightweight will only need about 2000 rpm to pull them up softly and once settled you can slowly increase and by that time your speedos will be reading.

For the first timers that weigh 80lbs or so on two skis I find they pop up with just a touch of throttle and then I slowly speeed up.

For example, for my son...weighs about 200lbs starting on a slalom skii with both feet in I put in gear and smoothly go to 3000 rpm and he stands up without getting face wet and then add rpm to get to ski speed.

Often see people just pin it and the kid gets up and is accelerating so fast they wipe.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,211
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Too bad your not closer - I'd let ya practice on me.. we could swap some thoughts and I could ski for free just sayin...

All good advice here - just take your time ... kids pull out of the water very easy...
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
JMLVMI's Avatar
JMLVMI JMLVMI is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Location: RDU, NC
Posts: 880
Borrow or buy a barefoot boom. The BEST way to teach people to ski...not only your daughters but their friends, etc. Lets you talk to them from the boat, work on form, etc. before going behind the boat.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Ski-me's Avatar
Ski-me Ski-me is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Location: Rocky Mountains....Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
Borrow or buy a barefoot boom. The BEST way to teach people to ski...not only your daughters but their friends, etc. Lets you talk to them from the boat, work on form, etc. before going behind the boat.
This purpose was a surprise to me as well and didn't realize how much it helps. I had a little girl, 12 years old, never skied before. She wanted to try out deep water and just couldn't get it to work. Always pulled too hard and then fell back on her bottom. Decided to put her on the boom to get a better feel of skiing and she popped right up. Once she got her balance and figured it out, much more confident. Then, threw her back on the rope again and up she went. Just a great learning tool for kids.

When I'm pulling kids up, I do listen to them on what they think on the pull up speed. However, my rear view mirror is pretty critical. I can watch how they are getting up, judge their balance and then feather the throttle forward when I think they can handle it.

You don't want the be the cause of them losing their balance with the throttle. Slow and steady but watch them too.
__________________
- Jeff

1994 205, LT1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
TripleThreat's Avatar
TripleThreat TripleThreat is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Location: Midwest
Posts: 148
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I was adding to their difficulties based on what I read here. We will go out again on Thursday evening and give it another go. Hopefully I can do a better job of getting them up and going.

I've only ever pulled experienced skiers, and wake skaters, so this is as much of a learning experience for me as it is for them.

While we all had fun, I'm sure I can make it better for them.
__________________
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Bouyhead's Avatar
Bouyhead Bouyhead is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Boat: 1996 PS 190
Location: NYC
Posts: 963
All great advice so far. I'll add if you have a tower, attach the rope up top, the upwards pull helps. If you don't have a tower try the 28 off loop, takes the bounce out of the long rope. Once they are proficient at the deep water starts you can go back to longline. And the ski handle, Masterline and the bigger company's make very small diameter handles, really helps them get a good grip on the handle. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,921
All the right advice is here. No two kids pull up the same way when they are learning. Some need a real slow drag to get going. Low hand strength is the hardest to deal with. I taught an 11 year old and a 14 year old to ski this year. Both required different techniques to get them up. Once they had a couple runs under their belt, all was good. I had the two of them plus three others all up together the next day.
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 AM.