Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
You guys are nuts with these pumps...

The 7400 hand pump evacs my engine just as fast if not faster through the dipstick than using the drain hose.

No need to 'charge' in advance, no need for power or compressed air.

And who has had a hose break off??? I have a difficult time understanding how that would happen using the tubes that are included with the 7400. If you were really concerned (paranoid), you could just as easily make an adapter to use the 7400 with the drain hose like you can with the powered pumps.

Some serious overthinking going on here!
Unless the engine is running...I don't see how the hose with the 7400 or west marine pump hose would break off and we gotta use an extractor for the tranny anyway. The extractor takes less time and has little mess as its self contained.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Sticking stuff down the dip stick hole and taking a chance at it getting stuck and breaking off in there is not what I call over-thinking. As posted, it's happened to more then one person on here.

All the new motors have windage trays in the bottom of them. I'm pretty sure it can get suck on that or pinch between the crack and cap, rod.
Take the barbs off your hose and it should be fine
I really have a hard time seeing how a smooth, stiff nylon tube could get hung on something inside the pan upon removal.
One of the tubes that comes with the 7400 is not much larger in diameter than the dipstick is wide. The dipstick has to make it past the windage tray to measure oil level, so I expect the tube would as well. If it doesn't go in easily, don't force it, and you won't have any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Just changed mine a week ago and outa curiosity I used the tube dow dipstick method, once pump sucked air I even shoved the tube around some more trying to get every last drop. Then I hooked pump up to drain hose from the pan and got out atleast another half qt. So it's drain hose from now on for me. Also not sure how you guys drain hose are set up but it would prob take 3 days for mine to gravity drain! It basically drips out!
Good point. However, how much of the .5 qt do you think sits in the drain hose all the time?
As long as my engine was at operating temp, the drain hose worked fine.
You can make an adapter fitting and still use your oil extractor with the drain hose as well.

Last edited by CruisinGA; 08-26-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

I have a little adapter I made. It screws on the end of the hose, and snugs up perfect to the pump hose. I can winterize my boat and change my oil in about 20-30 minutes, and when friends and family come out of the woodwork each fall wanting me to work on their boats, speed helps.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Take the barbs off your hose and it should be fine
I really have a hard time seeing how a smooth, stiff nylon tube could get hung on something inside the pan upon removal.
One of the tubes that comes with the 7400 is not much larger in diameter than the dipstick is wide. The dipstick has to make it past the windage tray to measure oil level, so I expect the tube would as well. If it doesn't go in easily, don't force it, and you won't have any problems.
I think what has happened in some cases, I don't know, is the dip stick tube is just long tube that is forged and then probably cold sheared to length. I bet the inside edge is probably pretty sharp. When people put the tube in they might go a little to far and hit the bottom of the pan cause the tube to bend a little. Now with this bend when you go to pull out the side of the tube gets a nick in that starts the sticking issues. The harder they pull the more it cuts and at some point breaks off.

I'm fine with pulling the long hose from the oil pan out the back of the boat and putting that $15 hand pump on it.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I didn't think the tube could get stuck in the engine either. I have several friends who always remove old oil through the dipstick tube. The first time I used my mityvac 7400, the smallest tube that comes with it got hung up in the dipstick tube when I tried to remove it. It took me about 30 minutes to get it out of there. When it finally came out, there were a lot of scrapes on the side of the tube like it had been caught on something sharp.

I bought a fitting that screws on to the end of the drain hose and connects to one of the tubes that came with the mityvac.

I have use those orange hand pumps before, but I just got tired of dealing with the mess.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
So does the dip stick hand pump from west marine that was suggested able to hook up to drain hose? Or does it work best in dip stick?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
So does the dip stick hand pump from west marine that was suggested able to hook up to drain hose? Or does it work best in dip stick?
You will need a fitting to hook it up to the drain hose. I think this is the one I have
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
You will need a fitting to hook it up to the drain hose. I think this is the one I have
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset
Thanks. Does that pump work on sucking out the oil from the filter as well when hooked up to the drain hose?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I have had an oil pick-up tube get momentarily stuck in the dipstick tube. I just turned it a little and eased it back and forth and it popped right out.

However, if you don't drain the oil from the the drain hose and what your pump tube can't reach, it isn't much different than the old timers who used to change their oil and change the oil filter every other time. You are leaving dirty oil in the engine.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm not one who leaves a old filter. I was just thinking if it sucked the oil out of the filter so less chance of a mess when unscrewing it.