Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 AM
andersonmc andersonmc is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2001 X star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
so who gets credit for the sale? me ?
Lol I guess you did mention it first.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 AM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,126
Your boat should have a hose with brass fitting that connects to your oil pan and makes engine oil drainage easier. If not, you should install one. Connect your vacuum drainage device to that hose instead of feeding it down the dipstick tube. About once or twice a year someone posts here about how the tubing is stuck in the dipstick tube by trying to use the device that way.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ick+tube+stuck
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Your boat should have a hose with brass fitting that connects to your oil pan and makes engine oil drainage easier. If not, you should install one. Connect your vacuum drainage device to that hose instead of feeding it down the dipstick tube. About once or twice a year someone posts here about how the tubing is stuck in the dipstick tube by trying to use the device that way.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ick+tube+stuck
Agreed.

The thought of getting the siphon hose stuck in the pan and it breaking off keeps me from every trying it.

For little to no cost.

http://www.kmart.com/arnold-siphon-p...W002026740000P

Put that on the end of the long hose and suck the oil out from the bottom.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Nordicron Nordicron is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 298
Get this(jabsco flat 12v)and be done. I still hook it to my hose off the oil pan. Works so much better than the other hand pump still. Had the Moeller manual pump extractor which struggled to suck the hole out last December so picked up the Jabsco and it worked well.

http://m.westmarine.com/aHR0cDovL3d3...NzTnVtPTUwNDAy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM
andersonmc andersonmc is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2001 X star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 217
So are people using pumps for speed and if boat is in water? On my last boat I always just used drain hose on pan with great luck. I'm not worried about being fast I just assumed the pumps got more of the oil out. If not then I might just keep on doing the gravity. After hearing about the tubes breaking off it was a buzz kill for me. So now I just need a pump for my transmission oil.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
chriscraftmatt1976
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
So are people using pumps for speed and if boat is in water? On my last boat I always just used drain hose on pan with great luck. I'm not worried about being fast I just assumed the pumps got more of the oil out. If not then I might just keep on doing the gravity. After hearing about the tubes breaking off it was a buzz kill for me. So now I just need a pump for my transmission oil.
I just use a hand pump so I don't have to crawl under the boat. It is faster too. If youre happy with the drain method I don't think a pump is a necessity. It's way easier on a big v drive tho. Every boat is different...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
jafo9's Avatar
jafo9 jafo9 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Location: Southeast
Posts: 733
with the HF air pump model, how long will it hold a vacuum? for instance, could i "charge" it at home and then drive to the lake and use it a few hours later.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
CruisinGA's Avatar
CruisinGA CruisinGA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,547
You guys are nuts with these pumps...

The 7400 hand pump evacs my engine just as fast if not faster through the dipstick than using the drain hose.

No need to 'charge' in advance, no need for power or compressed air.

And who has had a hose break off??? I have a difficult time understanding how that would happen using the tubes that are included with the 7400. If you were really concerned (paranoid), you could just as easily make an adapter to use the 7400 with the drain hose like you can with the powered pumps.

Some serious overthinking going on here!
__________________
Bailey
'02 X-9
Lake Blue Ridge
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
You guys are nuts with these pumps...

The 7400 hand pump evacs my engine just as fast if not faster through the dipstick than using the drain hose.

No need to 'charge' in advance, no need for power or compressed air.

And who has had a hose break off??? I have a difficult time understanding how that would happen using the tubes that are included with the 7400. If you were really concerned (paranoid), you could just as easily make an adapter to use the 7400 with the drain hose like you can with the powered pumps.

Some serious overthinking going on here!
Sticking stuff down the dip stick hole and taking a chance at it getting stuck and breaking off in there is not what I call over-thinking. As posted, it's happened to more then one person on here.

All the new motors have windage trays in the bottom of them. I'm pretty sure it can get suck on that or pinch between the crack and cap, rod.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Nordicron Nordicron is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 298
Just changed mine a week ago and outa curiosity I used the tube dow dipstick method, once pump sucked air I even shoved the tube around some more trying to get every last drop. Then I hooked pump up to drain hose from the pan and got out atleast another half qt. So it's drain hose from now on for me. Also not sure how you guys drain hose are set up but it would prob take 3 days for mine to gravity drain! It basically drips out!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.