Boat: 2001 X star
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
so who gets credit for the sale? me ?
Lol I guess you did mention it first.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Your boat should have a hose with brass fitting that connects to your oil pan and makes engine oil drainage easier. If not, you should install one. Connect your vacuum drainage device to that hose instead of feeding it down the dipstick tube. About once or twice a year someone posts here about how the tubing is stuck in the dipstick tube by trying to use the device that way.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ick+tube+stuck
Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Your boat should have a hose with brass fitting that connects to your oil pan and makes engine oil drainage easier. If not, you should install one. Connect your vacuum drainage device to that hose instead of feeding it down the dipstick tube. About once or twice a year someone posts here about how the tubing is stuck in the dipstick tube by trying to use the device that way.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ick+tube+stuck
Agreed.

The thought of getting the siphon hose stuck in the pan and it breaking off keeps me from every trying it.

For little to no cost.

http://www.kmart.com/arnold-siphon-p...W002026740000P

Put that on the end of the long hose and suck the oil out from the bottom.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Get this(jabsco flat 12v)and be done. I still hook it to my hose off the oil pan. Works so much better than the other hand pump still. Had the Moeller manual pump extractor which struggled to suck the hole out last December so picked up the Jabsco and it worked well.

http://m.westmarine.com/aHR0cDovL3d3...NzTnVtPTUwNDAy
Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
So are people using pumps for speed and if boat is in water? On my last boat I always just used drain hose on pan with great luck. I'm not worried about being fast I just assumed the pumps got more of the oil out. If not then I might just keep on doing the gravity. After hearing about the tubes breaking off it was a buzz kill for me. So now I just need a pump for my transmission oil.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
So are people using pumps for speed and if boat is in water? On my last boat I always just used drain hose on pan with great luck. I'm not worried about being fast I just assumed the pumps got more of the oil out. If not then I might just keep on doing the gravity. After hearing about the tubes breaking off it was a buzz kill for me. So now I just need a pump for my transmission oil.
I just use a hand pump so I don't have to crawl under the boat. It is faster too. If youre happy with the drain method I don't think a pump is a necessity. It's way easier on a big v drive tho. Every boat is different...
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
with the HF air pump model, how long will it hold a vacuum? for instance, could i "charge" it at home and then drive to the lake and use it a few hours later.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
You guys are nuts with these pumps...

The 7400 hand pump evacs my engine just as fast if not faster through the dipstick than using the drain hose.

No need to 'charge' in advance, no need for power or compressed air.

And who has had a hose break off??? I have a difficult time understanding how that would happen using the tubes that are included with the 7400. If you were really concerned (paranoid), you could just as easily make an adapter to use the 7400 with the drain hose like you can with the powered pumps.

Some serious overthinking going on here!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
You guys are nuts with these pumps...

The 7400 hand pump evacs my engine just as fast if not faster through the dipstick than using the drain hose.

No need to 'charge' in advance, no need for power or compressed air.

And who has had a hose break off??? I have a difficult time understanding how that would happen using the tubes that are included with the 7400. If you were really concerned (paranoid), you could just as easily make an adapter to use the 7400 with the drain hose like you can with the powered pumps.

Some serious overthinking going on here!
Sticking stuff down the dip stick hole and taking a chance at it getting stuck and breaking off in there is not what I call over-thinking. As posted, it's happened to more then one person on here.

All the new motors have windage trays in the bottom of them. I'm pretty sure it can get suck on that or pinch between the crack and cap, rod.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Just changed mine a week ago and outa curiosity I used the tube dow dipstick method, once pump sucked air I even shoved the tube around some more trying to get every last drop. Then I hooked pump up to drain hose from the pan and got out atleast another half qt. So it's drain hose from now on for me. Also not sure how you guys drain hose are set up but it would prob take 3 days for mine to gravity drain! It basically drips out!