Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: None
Speed Up or Slow Down!!

I guess this is considered a rant, but I though I'd see what others think and if they have had similar problems.

While I would like to say this is only a problem with wallys or people who drive I/Os but it seems to be a problem with all types of boaters.

We spent a week on Laurel Lake in KY last week and it might as well have been a 5,500 acre private lake. It was cloudy and calm for most of the week, so the entire lake was glass all day long Monday - Thursday; absolutely incredible water conditions! BUT (here comes the rant) why do people think they are doing you a favor by slowing down from cruising speed to pass your floating boat? It doesn't bother me a bit if you fly by at 45mph WOT (as long as it is a safe distance away) or at idle, but PLEASE PLEASE stop slowing down from cruising speed to 10 mph and act like your're being nice.

We were sitting along the edge of a cliff towards the end of one of the river channels. All six of us were in the water just enjoying the calm quiet day, when a guy comes cruising up in a new Supra pickle fork doing about 30 I guess. Then as he gets close he slows to about 10mph and plows by us giving us a smile and wave as he goes buy and sends giant rollers towards us and the boat (nearly swamped the boat). I'm pretty sure it wasn't on purpose, but why don't people realize that the wake at 10mph is much larger than the wake at 30? I know I don't own the lake and wouldn't have thought twice about him driving by at 25+ mph but when people plow by and almost swamp your boat it is quite annoying.

This is just the latest instance in many years of this happening. Why don't people think? Does this bother anyone else?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.robinson389 View Post
I guess this is considered a rant, but I though I'd see what others think and if they have had similar problems.

While I would like to say this is only a problem with wallys or people who drive I/Os but it seems to be a problem with all types of boaters.

We spent a week on Laurel Lake in KY last week and it might as well have been a 5,500 acre private lake. It was cloudy and calm for most of the week, so the entire lake was glass all day long Monday - Thursday; absolutely incredible water conditions! BUT (here comes the rant) why do people think they are doing you a favor by slowing down from cruising speed to pass your floating boat? It doesn't bother me a bit if you fly by at 45mph WOT (as long as it is a safe distance away) or at idle, but PLEASE PLEASE stop slowing down from cruising speed to 10 mph and act like your're being nice.

We were sitting along the edge of a cliff towards the end of one of the river channels. All six of us were in the water just enjoying the calm quiet day, when a guy comes cruising up in a new Supra pickle fork doing about 30 I guess. Then as he gets close he slows to about 10mph and plows by us giving us a smile and wave as he goes buy and sends giant rollers towards us and the boat (nearly swamped the boat). I'm pretty sure it wasn't on purpose, but why don't people realize that the wake at 10mph is much larger than the wake at 30? I know I don't own the lake and wouldn't have thought twice about him driving by at 25+ mph but when people plow by and almost swamp your boat it is quite annoying.

This is just the latest instance in many years of this happening. Why don't people think? Does this bother anyone else?
yep it bothers me too you can't hold inboard drivers to a higher standard anymore
Old 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.robinson389 View Post

And I am very tired of the "they just don't know or realize what they are doing" POSERS go home.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Same issue on our lake.

I do think these people don't know what they are doing and think they are being nice. I know my dad was one of them. Took awhile for me to convince him that the boat needs to go either <6 or >19 and not in between.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
And I am very tired of the "they just don't know or realize what they are doing" POSERS go home.
No chit!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Ah...................the dreaded courtesy plow.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X14
Funny you bring this up. I was teaching my wife some of the "unwritten rules" of driving this weekend, and this subject came up when she unintentionally gave an anchored boat a "courtesy plow." As I explained her error, She couldn't wrap her brain around it until I told her to turn around and look at her wake at 10 and 30mph. Then she got it.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Agree totally on here about the courtesy plow. What a PITA when someone does that. When I see that about to happen I swing my arm in a big circle and try to get them to continue through at speed. Never really works.

Of course we (Zsqure and Me) had the opposite happen on Sunday. We were about 60 yards apart and heading towards each other on a corner of our channel (river) area and a I/O Cuddy comes speeding through between us at about 35 mph. He was probably about 35 feet away when he passed by me, doing the I/O stand and drive... I kind of blew it off until about 5 minutes later he went back through the other way and was cutting in front of people. Then I knew he was a pecker head!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Well at least you didn't have a boat driver (inboard - moomba) driver go full speed with a tube with kids between the boat I was in and a boat with kids behind it 50 feet from our boat where we slowed to idle. After last weekend - I know long have it out for Jet Skis... - I saw more unsafe drivers than I could count... - scary poop Sunday a few times...
Old 08-26-2013, 03:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
This happens every weekend with us. Our place is down by a very small bridge that only smaller towerless boats and PWCs can really go under. We constantly have boats come down to the bridge then turn around and send rollers at our dock from about 20-30' away from the dock. There is absolutely no reason to be that close to the dock and it really makes me angry. I wish I could do more about it, but ignorant people are just that. There are constantly the waverunners coming back and forth all day going under the bridge too which creates unnecessary waves, but at least they do not send waves over the sea wall.