Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Masterscraft, Maristar 225, 1994, 350
New Owner, steering cable replacement

Hi guys, I just bought a 1994 Maristar 225 today, has a broken steering cable, working on finding a replacement cable now. Any tips on how the best way is to remove and replace? Also the rudder is very stiff. PO said it was hard to steer and then the cable broke. I'm a halfa** mechanic so not afraid to tackle the job but any tips are very welcome. Suggestions on where to get the cable? ?

Thanks

marv
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgruber921 View Post
Hi guys, I just bought a 1994 Maristar 225 today, has a broken steering cable, working on finding a replacement cable now. Any tips on how the best way is to remove and replace? Also the rudder is very stiff. PO said it was hard to steer and then the cable broke. I'm a halfa** mechanic so not afraid to tackle the job but any tips are very welcome. Suggestions on where to get the cable? ?

Thanks

marv
Easy enough. Order a new cable from Discount Inboard Marine. Instructions are included (easier read than said). Instructions are adequate for an easy install.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-07-2013, 10:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I haven't dug into mine, so this is all hearsay. I'd suggest removing the tiller arm on the rudder, and dropping the rudder (put a floor jack under the rudder so it isn't a literal "dropping"). Clean out all the old grease, grime, and mouse droppings from the rudder and inside the rudder box, check that the rudder shaft is straight, then grease everything up real good using the Mastercraft specified grease (for my boat, white lithium grease. I don't know why it doesn't just use normal NLGI #2 grease, but it doesn't...). Put it back together, and see if the stiffness has gone away. You may have to get out on the water and under way to check for sure.

The general procedure for the steering cable is to attach a rope to the old steering cable and pull it through, measure it to figure out the correct length, order a new cable, then attach the new cable to the rope and pull it into place. If you have the new cable already, you can probably dispense with the rope.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
I haven't dug into mine, so this is all hearsay. I'd suggest removing the tiller arm on the rudder, and dropping the rudder (put a floor jack under the rudder so it isn't a literal "dropping"). Clean out all the old grease, grime, and mouse droppings from the rudder and inside the rudder box, check that the rudder shaft is straight, then grease everything up real good using the Mastercraft specified grease (for my boat, white lithium grease. I don't know why it doesn't just use normal NLGI #2 grease, but it doesn't...). Put it back together, and see if the stiffness has gone away. You may have to get out on the water and under way to check for sure.

The general procedure for the steering cable is to attach a rope to the old steering cable and pull it through, measure it to figure out the correct length, order a new cable, then attach the new cable to the rope and pull it into place. If you have the new cable already, you can probably dispense with the rope.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Also, try to position the cable as level towards the head of the rudder as you can. Water can (somehow) get into that cable. If it is running down into the bilge it can begin corroding. The last one I installed(I had to install three over the life of the boat before I learned this) ran down into the bilge and then up towards the rear of the boat. The last one I ran I ran it along the frame rails completely out of the bilge and it has lasted 6 years so far.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 195 - LTR, ZeroFlex Tower
I replaced my steering cable this summer for the first time. It's not a difficult job, just a pain to do because you have to get into some awkward places to disconnect the old cable and connect the new one. Got my cable from skidim.