Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Grant777
Nic. You are confusing the issue. Your fundamentals are correct although the increase in drag of the extra fins would outweigh apparent increase 'drive'. I think the fundamentals of a regular surfboard and a board designed to be surfed behind a boat are significantly different.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Yeah, that was something I ran across in another boat forum on wakesurfers. I think I'm going to drop one fin anyways, along with increased speed, and see how it goes.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
More fins can equal faster, but from what ive seen, not what i know, this means 2 pairs on each side (4 total) slightly angled inward.

So yes, faster but they need to be positioned properly by the builder. Take a look at most of the surf style pros, they run with 4 fins in the above configuration I mention.

Three fins - I'm no expert but would think those that build them are and can get similar performance.

Size of the fins helps with speed as well. I bought all three sizes for my inland mucus (it is a 2 finned board, but angled inward) and the board is slower with the smaller fins. It spins easier, but I learned to spin with the medium sized fins because they made all the difference catching up after the spin.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
More fins do make a board "faster"

"Reducing that lateral side slip would help the board go forward, increasing drive. It's that increase in drag laterally that provides a function of control for the rider, but also inhibits certain things - like spinning in place."
More fins are going to give you more hold and drive. But it will also slow the board down. It will not speed it up. Trust Alberta and I on this one.

If you want to spin, less fin. Those fin are a joke too. Not sure if futures or Fcs will fit. If they will get some and throw those crap fins away.

This is what you get with Ronix. Just so you know. Sell that board and get a Doomswell

As for how fast your board feels. Speeding up the boat isn't really your fix. Unless you are going less than 9mph. You just need to put your back foot all the way back.

My board is so fast my back leg burns from standing on the brakes all day. Some boards are fast. You should run somewhere between 10-11 mph.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-07-2013, 01:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
As for how fast your board feels. Speeding up the boat isn't really your fix. Unless you are going less than 9mph. You just need to put your back foot all the way back.

My board is so fast my back leg burns from standing on the brakes all day. Some boards are fast. You should run somewhere between 10-11 mph.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Disagree, you'll have a more enjoyable experience if you adjust the boat speed to match a neutral stance on your board.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimper View Post
Disagree, you'll have a more enjoyable experience if you adjust the boat speed to match a neutral stance on your board.
That's how you have to do it. Longer rides will result.