Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2013, 02:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Just sold a 2013 x55 with an ilmor 7.4 boat was not impressive at all both in the power world and stock wakes either wakeboard or surf

I wouldn't spend the money if you just want to surf an don't want to have to add a total off weight which you will get at least 1100 lbs as 400 bag plus 3 guys on the port side an the wave still had little to no push buy a surf boat a centurion, tige, even a supreme

If your looking for a great family boat for hanging out, cruising, showing off or anything else and don't mind having extra sacks plumbed in then its a great boat

I will say the 7.4 was extremely smooth both while running, idling & going in and out of gear
Old 08-23-2013, 02:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Forgot to add I got the x55 with only 23.7 hours from a nautique dealer who took it on trade toward a 2013 230 because he "original buyer" was that disappointed with what the x55 is/was
Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Current 2006- 200 SS 5.7 Former-2013 X30 6.2 Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjag941 View Post
Just sold a 2013 x55 with an ilmor 7.4 boat was not impressive at all both in the power world and stock wakes either wakeboard or surf

I wouldn't spend the money if you just want to surf an don't want to have to add a total off weight which you will get at least 1100 lbs as 400 bag plus 3 guys on the port side an the wave still had little to no push buy a surf boat a centurion, tige, even a supreme

If your looking for a great family boat for hanging out, cruising, showing off or anything else and don't mind having extra sacks plumbed in then its a great boat

I will say the 7.4 was extremely smooth both while running, idling & going in and out of gear
THIS is useful info!
We Do like the Cruise and Relax potential with this Boat...
The SURF is a Big plus if it is doable,//
Did you have Surf TABS? Did they do Anything?

We REALLY Like the Looks of the MC Line UP, the X-55 has the Big Boat feel we are looking for , Hi FreeBoards, Open Water Cruising, Big Space...

I dont wanna Be BUMMED out if I can't have Fun Surfing on it though...

Thanks
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
I regularly surf behind a friend's X-55 and love the surf wake. I think it is bigger, longer, and more push than an X-30 I also surf behind. The X-30 is excellent, but the X-55 is more better. Both have extra ballast, etc.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I regularly surf behind a friend's X-55 and love the surf wake. I think it is bigger, longer, and more push than an X-30 I also surf behind. The X-30 is excellent, but the X-55 is more better. Both have extra ballast, etc.
Good to here different views....
I'm not looking for Monster Wake,,,, but I would like to drive the boat Straight while Surf and not have it listing to hard...

Is that possible?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
So we've got a 2013 x55 with the 7.4L. It's our first wakeboat and I don't have time in others, so I can't compare, can only talk about our experiences.

The best thing about the boat is the size. We've had 12 adults on it and had plenty of room left. Capacity says 18 - that might be cozy, but you definitely have tons of room and plenty of storage. Also with the size and design, it handles very well in rough water. You didn't specify where you are boating, but if there's heavy chop, you may love the X55. We came from a Crownline E4 - a 25 footer, but the x55 handles rough water better.

As for surfing, we're no experts - first year for it. I don't think the surf wave with just the stock ballasts is anything special. Can you surf on it? Yes, especially if you have some skills or aren't too big. But putting ballast bags in makes a big difference. I've got a 750 that goes in the rear port locker. I've got another 750 that I'm playing with position - don't always use it, but have put it in the side locker and the front. Could even do more weight, the engine will certainly handle it.

We do have the surf tabs, but I haven't played with them much. They are programmed in the "Surf Left" profile that comes from the factory so they are being used. I haven't tried changing it much to see the difference. We got a great deal on them, so I added them.

You asked about the computer screen and if it was worth it. My answer - no question. Now keep it mind that 2013 is from a different vendor than 2012 and before, which had problems. If you're wife just wants to hit the throttle and steer, the system is perfect for her. You hit one button to fill the tanks, then just go. Hit another button to empty them.

The 7.4 is awesomely powerful. I will say that it's loud. That's a beautiful throaty roar when you hit the throttle. But conversation while under power requires some pretty loud talking.

It's also a big, heavy boat to learn in for my first V drive. It's a big change from the IO I came from. Nothing that can't be handled, but it takes some time and navigating a 5500 pound boat (plus cargo and people). Docking takes some practice.

All in all, we're very happy with it. We could have bought any boat out there but I wanted a MC and didn't like the looks of the G25. Fire away with other questions and I'll try to answer.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X55 - 6.2L
Agree with Astepatatime - we got our 55 about same time. Our first Mastercraft, came from I/O's and Jet boat (Seadoo 210 Wake).

We're definitely not experts, or even intermediates for that matter, at surfing. We haven't added extra ballast to the boat (factory ballast only) and we're able to surf pretty easily. We found that the factory surf program filled the center tank and the port/starboard, depending on which side you're surfing. Playing around, we found that just running the port tank and leaving the KGB empty works well for us. We use the surf tabs at 100% and have the center wake plate set at 30%. Seems to work well, however never surfed behind any other boat.

We have the 6.2L in ours and the volume is not an issue. Great growl from the engine, but can have conversations pretty easily under moderate power. If we're full out (43-44mph) then it's not a great conversation environment.

Murphy touchscreen system is awesome. Set it once, push a button or two, game on. Tanks do take a little while to fill but reasonable. Just have to do what I tell my kids - put your patient pants on...

The boat overall is a masterpiece from Mastercraft. We love most everything about the boat. Head is great for emergencies, cleaning it out sucks! We ordered ours without the sink/fridge combo, in favor of more seating space. Jury's out if that was a good choice or not. Built in cooler slot is nice, but stuff get's "soggy" in the water pretty quick.

We had 10 kids (ranged from 6 to 13 years old) and 5 adults on the boat last weekend and it didn't seem over crowded.

Size of the boat is great if you're in bigger water. The lake we were on last weekend is 2,800 acres and you can get some pretty decent chop on the lake from wind and boats. Don't even feel it in the X-55. It's really a champ. On smaller lakes, we put in on a 126 acre lake periodically, it's tough not to make other boats angry due to wake. It's a REALLY REALLY big boat.

If you're used to driving a V-drive, it manuvers like a much smaller boat than what it is. This has been my biggest challenge! Moving from a jet boat to this was difficult at first, but getting the hang of it. Backing up... Boat goes where IT wants to go.

We are very happy with the surfing so far, the overall boat configuration and the performance. Would make the purchase again!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 AM
MC Devotee

M5 and Aspet,
Thanks for the additional input, your boating situation is very close to our own...
We are hoping to score a good deal on a used 55 in the off season....
It's looks like I would be adding ballast system on new or used to have a Bigger Wake on either new or used models....?

Sans the Surf Tabs these X55 Boat Hulls should all behave the same?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashburn1 View Post
M5 and Aspet,
Thanks for the additional input, your boating situation is very close to our own...
We are hoping to score a good deal on a used 55 in the off season....
It's looks like I would be adding ballast system on new or used to have a Bigger Wake on either new or used models....?

Sans the Surf Tabs these X55 Boat Hulls should all behave the same?
I don't know the hull history on the X55. Maybe someone else on here can say what it is? One thing, not specific to the X55s, is the change in supplier of the electronic screens in 2013. There's a pretty long thread on here (do a search) on problems with the 2012 system. I "think" it can be fixed with software patches, but not sure. So do your homework on that topic.

I'm also not sure when tower changes occurred?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astepatatime View Post
I don't know the hull history on the X55. Maybe someone else on here can say what it is? One thing, not specific to the X55s, is the change in supplier of the electronic screens in 2013. There's a pretty long thread on here (do a search) on problems with the 2012 system. I "think" it can be fixed with software patches, but not sure. So do your homework on that topic.

I'm also not sure when tower changes occurred?
I've already stated that all 55's have the same hull. So hopefully the OP is clear on that.