Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercaft X2, 2009, MCX 350, Moomba LSV 2007 (sold), Maxum 1800 sx 2003 (sold)
Wakesurfboard Advise Needed

Can somone please help me out with advise which wakesurfboard to choose. Looking for a board for my wife she just stared out and can ride on the wake without the rope in the sweet spot.

Now I want to buy a board but it is difficult to get the right info about skim and wake style.
She wants to have a good board that is not to difficult to ride and make some tricks.
Thinking about the LF Chase sixer but do not now if it to difficult to ride.

Anny suggestion would be helpful.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

I'm a huge phase 5 fan, but they're squirlly at first. Liquid force customs ride easy and soft, but are slower and sluggish in comparison.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercaft X2, 2009, MCX 350, Moomba LSV 2007 (sold), Maxum 1800 sx 2003 (sold)
here is a little movie we made in Italy this summer.
Attached Files
File Type: mov ItaliŽ 2013 Puck Wakesurf.mov (10.14 MB, 69 views)
Old 08-22-2013, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X30, 2015, 6.2 (On Order)
Phase 5 for skim style. Inland Surfer for wake.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: xStar, 2008, LY6
Inland Surfer Black Pearl is my favorite and the choice of my surfing buddies. It is skim style but almost a hybrid. It's a fast, low drag board that has a lot more float than you would expect for the type. Unconditionally recommended.
1969 Glastron
Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I would recommend a custom board. Such as doomswell, soulcraft, day1, and many others. better boards equal better surf feel.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X23 w/giant punkin motor
IMO a LF custom is an excellent intermediate board, If you are going skim style. (If she wants to try to progress to spins and such.) If she wants to go more surf style, and try for airs down the line, it is hard to beat the Inland surfer sweet spot pro. (run it with only two fins, and put the plugs in the other two slots....plugs should come with the board.)

I am pretty confident, that the other 15ish people, that I ride with, would have a similar opinion of these two boards. They are the two boards that we ALWAYS bring. They are never left on the racks. Collectively, we have over 30 boards.

Also, I have found a lot of the custom made boards are difficult for somebody learning.... The skim boards are usually too slippery, and the surf style boards are too aggressive. They are the best once you have progressed to an above average surfer. Otherwise, I feel that they will slow your learning curve. That being said, there are certainly a few that are good for a beginner/intermediate.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Unless you plan to own several boards (and keep incrementally spending more money each time) try and figure out what style you want to shoot for. Most pro shops don't carry or won't loan out custom boards so you'll have a difficult time riding a high end board unless you know someone that will let you use theirs. The custom boards will also require a more delicate touch than your "throw it anywhere in the boat" compression board. As such my recommendation would be to either ride the one you have another season until you can figure out which direction you want to go or pick a style and buy a board you'll be able to grow into.

We're coming into the board sale season and there will be deals on some of the higher end non custom boards. I personally have a Phase 5 Model X, a Inland Surfer Blue lake and a Soul Craft Fang Tail that I've purchased over the past 6 years. Of those I feel either the Phase 5 or Inland Surfer would be a good fit. Phase 5 boards typically will offer multiple fins configurations that will give you plenty of directional stability to start with. When you're more comfortable with using the rails to control the board you can remove the center fin to free up the board more for spins. Inland Surfer makes several board that would fit your wife well for her size and weight much better than the board in the picture.

I really wouldn't recommend any of the custom boards at this stage. I like my Fang Tail but it is twitchy to say the least. Most of these boards are also quite fragile and will ding easily. I keep all my other boards in the boat but am to worried about leaving the Soul Craft in the boat or putting it in the board rack.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Send a video of her surfing to the guys at " The Walker Project". They'll fit her up with the perfect board.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Check out, mendonesia surf, cove wakesurfers, doomswell, soulcraft, day 1 wake, brigade wakesurf, humanoid wake, phase 5, station wakesurf, Victoria boards, TWP, agenda surf, vessel wake etc etc.

Not a huge fan of inland surfer myself. I don't like the construction.

I'm not worried about putting my all hand shaped custom board in my racks and leaving it on my boat moored at the marina.

People who baby their boards and boats sure don't have as much fun. So what if it leaves a little black mark. And if you ding it or scratch it you can always fix it. It's just fiberglass resin.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2