Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
I am a little worried about leaving a local dealer. I don't want to be driving hours to get a problem fixed. Problem is my local dealer doesn't seem to bend too much w/ pricing. I live in an area where rich people come to play, money made outside our area. Dealer knows this.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamalka View Post
I am a little worried about leaving a local dealer. I don't want to be driving hours to get a problem fixed. Problem is my local dealer doesn't seem to bend too much w/ pricing. I live in an area where rich people come to play, money made outside our area. Dealer knows this.
I think you've got dealer options... Both Rayburn's and Martin have locations in Kelowna.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
I do think a call to MC headquarters would be in order in a dealer refused to do warranty work even though you purchased from another dealer. What's to say you didn't relocate etc. and I would be pissed if a dealer sat on my $100+k boat because I didn't buy from them again a call to MC headquarters would be in order.

They can't force you to buy from a specific dealer... or can they look at obamacare.....

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
I do think a call to MC headquarters would be in order in a dealer refused to do warranty work even though you purchased from another dealer. What's to say you didn't relocate etc. and I would be pissed if a dealer sat on my $100+k boat because I didn't buy from them again a call to MC headquarters would be in order.

They can't force you to buy from a specific dealer... or can they look at obamacare.....
I bought my MC out of territory due to poor local service reputation and had to get permission from MC then was told not to bring it to local dealer for any work.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Word, can't believe the number one volume dealer is in canada. I hate the 50 degree water in January! Isn't that the summer temps for y'all? Lol
9% of Cda's entire acreage is surface water (incl its half of Great lakes)...Quebec has 3% of worlds fresh water.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Star View Post
Martin has a location in Kelowna now too.
They're not authorized to sell MC there though. Too bad Rayburns is there...
Old 08-22-2013, 05:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Martin has a location in Kelowna and I've found service staff at Rayburn's great!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
When I was a mechanic, we would do it, but the boss would hold it as long as possible to inconvenience the customer.
what a stupid way to address the problem. With that attitude I'm sure they never captured the 2nd purchase. SMH
Old 08-22-2013, 05:49 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaprlud View Post
what a stupid way to address the problem. With that attitude I'm sure they never captured the 2nd purchase. SMH
Not often. The guy was a piece of work. I can't believe he's still in business. Thats why I quit. Quitting that dealer was a fantastic day.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
Im in motorcycle and boat sales .. Just do your RESEARCH..if your a qualified buyer. Take your closest 2-3 dealers talk to sales manager say hey im getting ready to purchase an x10 with what ever options you want and say hey who ever has the best price is this is who I will buy from Yes it is a different way of negation, but to me it shows a commitment from a dealer to you. one for wanting your business and two if they care about you as a customer to make want to come in.

If a sales person or manager is "to" busy to do a 20 min quote how do you think they will be when you have a real proab in the future. If you have all the money and dont care about price then just totally disregard this .. but you be really surprised who in the end will go the extra mile to EARN your business not just have it sat in their lap and make a FAT paycheck.. because by the time they hold back on the trade and stick you for full price on the new one they can make 10-15K. and to me thats just money I dont have to pay or just put in my pocket. Like i said all determines how hard you work for it.

PS you will always get a better price for your boat selling private and sounds like you have a hell of a boat id try and sell it by your self first. unless you still owe more than its worth or anything crazy like that and need the trade .. But thats enough of my ranting good luck
I did this exact thing about 20 years ago in shopping for a car in a large metro area. It is very effective. More recently, it has become even easier to email them or call them on the phone and request a best price if I buy in the next few days.

Since that time, I have been buying more used vehicles and boats than new (by 100%). A bit harder to do because it's a little harder to find nearby comparisons.

Of course, boat dealers are a bit different, and you may be a bit more reliant on a dealer for service and, as a result, may not want to be remembered as the guy who played them off competitors to get the absolute last dime out of them.

Then again, I didn't buy my current boat from my dealer (bought it used from an individual). But I try to help them out in other ways, even if it's just bringing in growlers of beer to the service department or spending a few extra bucks on a part from them that I could get from skidim for less. But, as it turns out, they are usually pretty competitive on parts.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.