Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I always took the approach that I want a fair deal for both of us. I expect my dealer to make money, as I want them to be successful and be in business in a few years. As of a few years ago 15 - 20% off msrp was a good deal. Not sure what today's standards are. If anyone has specific numbers, please keep them in PM's.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
Im in motorcycle and boat sales .. Just do your RESEARCH..if your a qualified buyer. Take your closest 2-3 dealers talk to sales manager say hey im getting ready to purchase an x10 with what ever options you want and say hey who ever has the best price is this is who I will buy from Yes it is a different way of negation, but to me it shows a commitment from a dealer to you. one for wanting your business and two if they care about you as a customer to make want to come in.

If a sales person or manager is "to" busy to do a 20 min quote how do you think they will be when you have a real proab in the future. If you have all the money and dont care about price then just totally disregard this .. but you be really surprised who in the end will go the extra mile to EARN your business not just have it sat in their lap and make a FAT paycheck.. because by the time they hold back on the trade and stick you for full price on the new one they can make 10-15K. and to me thats just money I dont have to pay or just put in my pocket. Like i said all determines how hard you work for it.

PS you will always get a better price for your boat selling private and sounds like you have a hell of a boat id try and sell it by your self first. unless you still owe more than its worth or anything crazy like that and need the trade .. But thats enough of my ranting good luck
I'm sorry but that advice seems terrible to me. For one who has multiple MC dealers within driving distance. Most dealers respect territories , so more than likely you will be referred back to your closest dealer unless for some reason you feel your dealer sucks. If you buy from a far away dealer , be prepared to tow it there everytime you need warranty items handled. Just be fair and nice. You will get further that way. Some people think you get a better deal by wearing your dick head hat and start off hard right off the bat. In the end you will probably pay more and get bad service.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
Margins on boats are much larger than cars. A typical car dealer will sell 30 cars per month, a typical boat dealer will sell 10 boats per year. Margins have to be higher so that he can stay in business.

As with any purchase, if you are happy with the price, that is all that matters. No matter how good your deal is, someone else will get a better one somewhere else.
10 boats per year?! Tx mc sold like 15 last month! Not including used!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 x star
In my opinion if a dealer dosnt like you want to negotiate its time to walk they are providing a service to you. The thing I have found with most these dealers is they think you should be happy they are giving you there time which in my opinion sets the tone for how service work will go.

None of them put there bottom line price out there.

Just be prepared to walk if you don't like the deal. If they are going to give you poor service because you want to negotiate its time to look at a different dealer or brand.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Exactly as chevyluv.

MC is going to pay for the warranty work anyway. If a shop wants your regular service business, they better be accurate and give good service.
Those that cry protected territory are barely hanging on or don't give the level of service they should; has been my experience.

Last, being in Canada may create its own set of costs that you might not deal with if buying from another dealer.

Speaking of GM and supporting local dealers - when I bought my truck, the local dealer was not price competitive then said a truck that I was interested in was "unavailable" when they would not make a reasonable inventory swap/deal with the other dealer. I said Fk u, contacted the other dealer directly, 500 miles away, grabbed a one way Southwest ticket, new dealer picked me up at the airport in my new truck and I drove it home saving thousands.
Warranty work has not been accurate with the local dealer. The big warranty on my Allison trans had the local stumped, I took it to a Dealer 60 miles away with 3 full time diesel techs instead of one that "has attended training" and they were on point, cooperative and fast.

Moral of the story - Dealer either wants your business and is going to do quality work or you will travel to someone that does regardless.

Last edited by bsloop; 08-21-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
The dealer here averages 3-8 boats a DAY. That being said not all approved or actually sold. But way more then 15 a year lol.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
From what I understand, the largest MC (and Nautique and Malibu) dealers are all in Canada (Alberta, I think) -- they move a lot of boats. Does anyone know if that's indeed true?

Guys with disposable income buying boats.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Tell 'em the equivalent CC or BU was a good deal....
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
From what I understand, the largest MC (and Nautique and Malibu) dealers are all in Canada (Alberta, I think) -- they move a lot of boats. Does anyone know if that's indeed true?

Guys with disposable income buying boats.
Yes Martin Motorsports and Wizard Lake Marine are biggest MC, Malibu, and Nautique dealers.

Kal, have you thought about buying in Alberta?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Kaboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Hey it is Canada. If I was given a free brand spankin new mastercraft I would still not get into that cold Canadian water. I'm surprised they find 10 people a year who will. If the water is not over a chilly 80F I'm staying home. Then again its always hot in Houston so I don't have to worry about cold water.