Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
how to negotiate with dealer on new boat

Going in on thursday to test x10, any tips on price negotiation. Ive never bought a new boat, only one new car years back. Any idea what their margins are? Where do i start with these guys as compared to sticker price? Can you still negotiate when custom ordering? how bout trade ins? i have a fully loaded 06 x1 with leds, plug n play 750's and 650 IBS plumbed, upgraded stereo w/subs, bimini, dual trailer, dual battery exchange, light bars forward and back 180 hours. Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Just pay MSRP and you will be treated very well on any service needs.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1988, Ford 351 240hp
While I am all about saving money, I like to play devils advocate; with a new boat everything is negotiable, that being said I don't mind paying a fair price so that both sides win. One tip is to negotiate the price of the new boat first then bring in the trade.

In my experience, dealers who you have a good relationship with will not mess with you; this way they get to keep you as a happy customer. I service my vehicle at a dealership which is 420 miles away from my house (yes you read that right). Why??? because I have an excellent relationship with the people there and I know everything will be taken care of in the most professional manner. Loyal customers come back and they will always come back.

Congrats on the future purchase.

1988 ProStar 190 red/gray
-Ford 351
-OJ 13x11 prop
-Kenwood Stereo

Need a manual go here http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Custom order should be the same pricing, pretty sure the dealer won't have the exact boat you want unless you settle for what they have. From what I have seen from this forum 18-20% off msrp is typical including the pricing on options. (About 33% from dealer cost to msrp) As far as your X1 I would try to sell outright first, get more money that way versus trading it in. Also discuss your potential trade in after you have come to an agreement on the new boat.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 230 VRS
From what I understand, this year has been a big I/O year. Mastercrafts are moving, but not as anticipated based on the past two years. You have the upper hand, especially if it's full of cash. All things considered, service is what you are ultimately getting.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
Check out http://www.seedealercost.com/product...ar-select=2013 to give you an idea of msrp vs dealer invoice. I don't see the X-10 listed but I would imagine the margin structure is similar for it vs other models like X-30, X-25, and X-2.

I think 18%-20% is typical. In some markets you'll do better, in some worse.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Check out http://www.seedealercost.com/product...ar-select=2013 to give you an idea of msrp vs dealer invoice. I don't see the X-10 listed but I would imagine the margin structure is similar for it vs other models like X-30, X-25, and X-2.

I think 18%-20% is typical. In some markets you'll do better, in some worse.
X-10 is about 5k less then the x-30 to give you a ball park.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
Im in motorcycle and boat sales .. Just do your RESEARCH..if your a qualified buyer. Take your closest 2-3 dealers talk to sales manager say hey im getting ready to purchase an x10 with what ever options you want and say hey who ever has the best price is this is who I will buy from Yes it is a different way of negation, but to me it shows a commitment from a dealer to you. one for wanting your business and two if they care about you as a customer to make want to come in.

If a sales person or manager is "to" busy to do a 20 min quote how do you think they will be when you have a real proab in the future. If you have all the money and dont care about price then just totally disregard this .. but you be really surprised who in the end will go the extra mile to EARN your business not just have it sat in their lap and make a FAT paycheck.. because by the time they hold back on the trade and stick you for full price on the new one they can make 10-15K. and to me thats just money I dont have to pay or just put in my pocket. Like i said all determines how hard you work for it.

PS you will always get a better price for your boat selling private and sounds like you have a hell of a boat id try and sell it by your self first. unless you still owe more than its worth or anything crazy like that and need the trade .. But thats enough of my ranting good luck
Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Margins on boats are much larger than cars. A typical car dealer will sell 30 cars per month, a typical boat dealer will sell 10 boats per year. Margins have to be higher so that he can stay in business.

As with any purchase, if you are happy with the price, that is all that matters. No matter how good your deal is, someone else will get a better one somewhere else.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:11 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
Im in motorcycle and boat sales .. Just do your RESEARCH..if your a qualified buyer. Take your closest 2-3 dealers talk to sales manager say hey im getting ready to purchase an x10 with what ever options you want and say hey who ever has the best price is this is who I will buy from Yes it is a different way of negation, but to me it shows a commitment from a dealer to you. one for wanting your business and two if they care about you as a customer to make want to come in.
I agree with this, but unless you have 2-3 MasterCraft dealers within reasonable driving distance then I wouldn't go in declaring your desire for an X-10. I'd just say, "I want to buy a wakeboard boat". If you're not willing to walk away from the deal and talk to other dealers or accept a different brand then you're pretty much hosed from a pricing standpoint. In this state, there are two MasterCraft dealers and they're 200 miles apart. If a person is dead-set on MasterCraft then they have you over a barrel. If I'm willing to walk out of the MasterCraft dealer and seriously price Malibu or Nautique then at least I have some kind of bargaining position.

Also, take into account the fact that while you may be able to drive 200 miles to get a better deal than your local guy, you'd better be prepared to drive the boat 400 miles for optimal customer service.