Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
PSA - Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning

I just read Deltaxstar's story, and it reminded me of an article that was sent to me by a friend a while back on how drowning doesn't look like drowning.

Not sure if it's been posted before, but it's a good water safety refresher in any event.

Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning

Cheers.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Great article, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Good article. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Very informative, thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
We almost lost our brother inlaw. He jumped out of his boat that was anchored in the river. He tried to swim back to the boat. No one was really paying attention. Instead of swimming to the shore literally 10 -15 yards away he continued to go for the boat. I was out in my boat coming up on them and saw him in the water. He was just like the article described. Vertical with his face to the sky not making a sound. We raced to him with my cousin jumping in to save him. Pulled him on board. He was soooo exhausted he could not speak and he just laid on the floor. He didn't take any water but totally exhausted. It took him almost an hour for him to even try to move from that spot. Scared the livin bajeebers outa us!! You never know!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Silent drowning almost happened to my wife. She was in a pool with some kids and one of them was climbing on her back all in fun. My wife got a lung full of water and suddenly could not scream for help. The kid kept playing and my wife kept going under. They were in the deep end of a pool with literally 15+ people right within 10 feet of them. Eventually my wife sunk to the bottom and the kid just swam to the side and got out like nothing had happened. I saw my wife at the bottom and we pulled her out and got her lungs cleared. Not one single sound ever came out of my wife's mouth during the whole incident.

My brother also was near a tragic incident. He was launching a duck boat at a ramp and a pair of guys on the other side of the ramp was readying their boat to go hunting. The guy's buddy and my brother both drove their vehicles up to the parking lot and when they came back the other guy was gone. Thinking he had gone to the porta potty or to the bait shop about 500 yards away to get some snacks they didn't think anything of it. My brother went hunting and about 30 minutes later he saw the rescue people at the landing. Turns out the buddy of the other hunting party slipped on the ice, hit is head on the dock, fell into the water, his gear got soaked, and he sunk into the cloudy water and drowned under the dock. All the while his buddy was standing on the dock waiting for him to come back from wherever he had gone.

Having fallen into water unexpectedly (both warm and freezing cold water) I can say for 100% certainty that panic is a person's worse enemy. We all need to learn to simple fall into the water, even when it is unexpected, remain calm, get our bearings, and then swim to safety. Too many times I hear of people gasping when they hit the water and after that point they cannot call for help. Cold water is especially a strong killer. The immediate response of the body is shock and so people often get a mouthful of water.