Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 x star. 6.0l
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oumiller28 View Post
My wife is from Elk Grove and we go up there all the time. I always want to take my boat up there. We just dont know where to go or know anyone that knows where to go.

So, I know summer is almost over but if I make it up that way again I will be sure to let you know.

If you ever have to drive through Bakersfield... plan on stopping for a few hours and I would be happy to run you guys out to Beuna Vista for some quick pulls to.

Just dont give up on the Star...
I really appreciate the offer and will keep you in mind.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by oumiller28 View Post
My wife is from Elk Grove and we go up there all the time. I always want to take my boat up there. We just dont know where to go or know anyone that knows where to go.

So, I know summer is almost over but if I make it up that way again I will be sure to let you know.

If you ever have to drive through Bakersfield... plan on stopping for a few hours and I would be happy to run you guys out to Beuna Vista for some quick pulls to.

Just dont give up on the Star...
You lookin for privat or public? Public: the Sac River, Folsom Lake, New Melones, Camanche. Lake Oroville and Shasta up in Redding. There is a private lake off Sheldon east of 99. Don't know who owns it.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstorm View Post
Sorry to hear! Can you tell us what happened with your boat?
basically out on the delta on a sunday got out there alot later than usual. was just me my wife one of our daughters a friend and his girl. we did some riding for a while then went for a cruise out past franks track somewhere i have never been in all my years in the delta. long story short im coming back in nearing sunset driving right into the sun and another boat was coming towards me i moved over to the right some and all a sudden the boat just hit some rock and came to a complete stop. i was going about 25 the max on my boat is about 35 with the rpms about were i dont think its screamin the whole time lol due to the prop i have so usually when im cruising its under 30 or at 30. any way a mix of sun low tide and poor judgment basically. so my wife and kid were in the bow and were thrown from the boat my kid thank god had only a small gash on her eyebrow line which we think was from my wifes head hitting hers since she was on my wifes lap. ill tell you an angel had her arms around her that day. she was three at the time. my wife on the other hand was thrown into the water but like i said it was shallow so she fractured three vertabrae in her neck 5,6,and 7
fractured 2 bones in her left foot and had a skull compression that needed emergency surgery which basicaly caused a hematoba if im spelling that correctly. so in the end it was the worst day of my life so far my wife is all healed now she has hardware in her neck and a plate in her head. but she suffered zero brain swelling bruising or effects no infections from that dirty delta water apparently thats a big issue around here. her neck obviously has lost some motion since they are fused but it was the lower part of the neck which is not where alot of motion comes from. we are all so lucky no one is dead or paralyzed i have two other girls and the thought of them not having a mother is very scary. at the time the thoughts of the boat didnt affect me that much cause my wife was on my mind mostly now that shes in good health back to normal and happy the loss of our boat affects us very much. we are both from families that grew up on the water very much camping every year and having fun. we worked our way up to that boat for the 8 years we have been together and started at the bottom with a 89 malibu. our kids enjoyed the water very much. it sucks to think we may never go boating again or have it be a big part of our lives. i just want to let everyone know before someone jumps to conclusions there was zero alcohol or drugs involved in this accident. i never drink and operate when there are children on my boat and even when it is just adults its all in moderation. it was simply drivers error. watersports are very very dangerous in many ways things happen so fast its scary how something we love so much could hurt you so bad just from not paying attention or disrespecting it. there are many many accidents in the delta every summer and there is always someone dead. and %90 of the time its because of alcohol.
that same summer i had to save a woman from drowning at lake don pedro. a bunch of boats were tied up in the cove by the waterfall every boat had they're stereos on full blast me and my wife were by ourselves just people watching hanging out and about three boats away a notice a girl in the water about 10ft from the swin deck and all i can see is here mouth and her eyes and she was basically at that point of pure exhaustion and im sure she was probably drunk. she probably jumped in to go pee or something and didnt realize she was too drunk well of course everyone on her boat was drinking not paying attention and the music is so loud you cant hear a scream. i started yelling at them and running across two boats jumped in the water grabbed this girl dragged her to the swim deck and she couldnt even hold herself up to the deck she was swallowing water gasping and im yelling for someone in the boat to help and finally some other guy came out of nowhere and grabbed her arms and dragged her up the platform at that point she couldnt breath her lungs were full of water we layed her on her side and she started puking up the water and it was very nasty. and still not one of her friends on that boat knew what was happening till it was over. if you know don pedro you know when you go under you arent coming back or being found till your body fills up with gas. point is is that even drowning doesnt look like drowning in the movies and being careless on the water is very very dangerous. everyone please be careful any time your out on the water i do not want anybody going throughout what me and my family did.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Cripes. that's a terrible story. Hopefully your wife will, one day, be comfortable enough to get back on the water.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 PROSTAR
I know of a family like yours. For the first time in 9 yrs, they took a boat ride this past July 4th. Lost their son to a drunk boater after darkness. Son was 18 at the time. Sucks that his life was taken. Sometimes the best therapy is just a nice quiet, slow boat ride to remember lives lost.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
awful story - but glad to read family intact... it only takes a moment... eash - sorry to read.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
So sorry Deltaxstar! You are in my neck of the woods. Up in Sac.
Back in the early 80's my cousin was waterskiing behind his flat bottom in the delta. The rope sucked up into the jet and they were dead in the water in blind curve. Another boat commin around the curve not seeing them. Ran right over the top of them and the other boat flipped. One guy on the other boat lost a leg. Alcohol was involved. It took a couple years but my cousin is back into boating.

You just never know! As I always say ...be AWARE of your SUROUNDINGS!

I've been around boating my whole too, since the early 70's. Couldn't amagine not boating. Maybe You can start taking her out in a big body lake in the middle of the week and just ease back into boating. I hope everything works out for you and your wife!!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X-Star
So u got your insurance payout correct. Then it got sold as a salvaged boat that means the VIN is flagged and certain things have to be done somebody can sell it again. I never dealt with a salvaged boat but i have motorcycles and its a way to get them super cheap but getting a clean title is pain to get done when it comes time to part with them. got any pics of the wrecked boat? I would like to see the aftermath.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 X-Star
was the picture taken at nor-cal?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamax View Post
So u got your insurance payout correct. Then it got sold as a salvaged boat that means the VIN is flagged and certain things have to be done somebody can sell it again. I never dealt with a salvaged boat but i have motorcycles and its a way to get them super cheap but getting a clean title is pain to get done when it comes time to part with them. got any pics of the wrecked boat? I would like to see the aftermath.
yes it was salvaged and i was paid out. i dont have any pics right now im trying to find them on my old phone but there was alot of gashes in the hull that went all the way through and the cost of repair was so much because they needed to split the boat into two halfs again bottom/top just to fix it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoffitt View Post
was the picture taken at nor-cal?
yes the guy i bought it from had it there on consignment but then we just dealt it together and x'd them out of it. i dont recommend norcal in Pleasanton to anyone for sales they suck!