Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, ProStar 190, 1996, Chevy 350
Send a message via AIM to wats218
Ramp Fix - Fill Hole

The ramp we normally use was closed by the state due to its condition. I was able to find a ramp on a private lot that the owner will allow me to launch my boat. Pretty nice ramp, you drive across grass and then the ramp is surrounded on both sides by bulkheads. My only issue is there is a good size hole on one side where the grass meets the sand. We made some ramps last weekend out of 4x4's. They worked ok, but it seamed a little dangerous since wood floats and we had to hold them in place while the boat was backed onto the ramps...not something I want to do each time I launch. The owner said I can fill in the hole with gravel. My question is, do you think gravel is the best material to fill this hole? Is there another rock that would both hold better and be easy to walk on? I don't have any pictures but I do have a google earth shot of the ramp layout. This is on a river and there is about a 4 ft tide change. I'm thinking with the bulkheads on both sides, the ramp is pretty protected and gravel might hold. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Closer pic's please.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
you can pour concrete under water. terrible surface finish but it does work. I once put in a floor under a foot of water.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Watch out for the DNR they may not like you doing anything to the shore line without a permit. don't know the rules where you are but in Michigan they can be a real bear with permits and fines.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

If it's a private lot, the dnr will definitely crawl up ur butt on this. Boat houses and private launches on inland lakes are a no no. If you have one you can use it, but I don't think you're allowed to repair or keep them up, so when they're no longer usable, they're gone. Thats what a guy on my street said the dnr told him. I'd do it anyway, just be stealth like.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star (current) 1994 PS190, 1990 TriStar
if you're not comfortable with concrete, put in some big rocks first, then something like crush and run over top of it and keep some extra on hand for when it settles. If you don't bring a construction crew and heavy equipment, it seems like it will be hard for anyone to complain.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
If it's a private lot, the dnr will definitely crawl up ur butt on this. Boat houses and private launches on inland lakes are a no no. If you have one you can use it, but I don't think you're allowed to repair or keep them up, so when they're no longer usable, they're gone. Thats what a guy on my street said the dnr told him. I'd do it anyway, just be stealth like.
It's a state by state thing. Not the same everywhere. Lots of lakes here where building/maintaining a ramp is not an issue.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
It's a state by state thing. Not the same everywhere. Lots of lakes here where building/maintaining a ramp is not an issue.
I thought he said mi. That's where I am. I do know the dnr can be a real pain here.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I think he is in Jersey- and he mentioned the river is tidal. Are there any tidal waters in michigan? ( I don't know if the great lakes are tidal)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I think he is in Jersey- and he mentioned the river is tidal. Are there any tidal waters in michigan? ( I don't know if the great lakes are tidal)
I'm fairly certain there are tides in the great lakes

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...